Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I got burned bad by Eric Treve!!!

Started by Daytona Z, October 27, 2019, 10:59:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daytona Z

So I bought a Daytona special in Feb. of this year. I decided to to a full on restoration/upgrade. Eventuntually I find a RD400 group on Fbook. So this guy Eric Treve posts a couple of weeks ago he has a DG swingarm for a daytona. I immediately message him to let him know I'm very interested. The guy never posted a price. He made reference that his friend sold one for 1100$. So after a long back and forth he says 1000$. Damn! Ok I'm in. So I try and get this guy to post pics but he keeps posting pics of his other items he wants to sell. I kept saying " I'm only interested in the swingarm".
I'll cut to the chase. This guy had a picture of a bubble wrapped unit that was posted on Fbook. So it shows up at my house friday. It has the exact wrapping in the picture.  I open it only to find out it doesn't fit. Its a regular 400 unit. I send him pictures and videos. He then calls me and says that he sent a daytona arm. That he wrapped it right before shipping so my claim is impossible. He then eludes to tell me that Im trying to scam him. Im trying to be patient( because he has my money). He then asks if I'm interested in other parts for the daytona. I reply that lets get past this first.
I was off to take the wife out to dinner so he says he'll call me the next day. He never did. I text him. No reply. I call him; he answers and says can I call you back in an hour? I said yes but call me. He then texts me back and says that I'm trying to scam him and that I'm trying to slander his good name!?!?!?  SoTheres more color in this picture but thats the jist of it. So now I paid 1000$ for a beat up rd400 unit!
The cherry on top is...... I purchased a Trac Dynamic swingarm  in march and I can't get any response from these guys. I did get lucky one saturday morning. The guy answered the phone; I told him my story. He said They were back ordered 150 units and that they would be shipping out in 2 weeks. that was in may.  So now I'm out 1800$ and still have nothing to work with!!!!!!! So if any of you know ERIC TREVE of Lincoln/Pleasantvill Calif. Don't buy anything from the piece of shit!!!! Some people are just fucked up. Small claims court it is.https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2418262835094483&set=pcb.10157457139047464&type=3&ifg=1&__tn__=HH-R&eid=ARBVhE3pfpVbaqlOe-hQeBi_1erNoHL31NglwMSDDD_oVIpeNCgls1yz9z6l5rb8V6bgjrZpUjfJLoix

The Red Scourge

'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

oxford

That sucks.  How did you pay him for the swingarm?

bitzz

Did DG even make a Daytona swingarm? I've never seen one.
If they did it was probably as bad as the one you've got. (The original DG stuff was/is NOT an upgrade, it's JUNK!).

I have mounted DG swingarms on Daytona bikes. Use the early brake setup and you have to make one new spacer on the brake side(IIRC).
... and on the original DG swing arms the pivot is an imperial size, WTF. I counter bore it and install a metric needle bearing and a torrington.
...oh and just so you know: from  a performance point of view a chrome moly (steel)swingarm is a better choice.

YOU WILLING PAID $1000 USD for a DG swingarm? WOW!. The last one I bought was two years ago, I got a swingarm and a pair of DG 400 heads for $750 CDN. (The heads needed to be decked, O ringed, CCed., squished and pinned to make them work).
If you're wanting heads  get the SCR ones. They're better.

GRA2STROKES

I've tried talking with that guy and he's a dick. Super selfish in realistic guy showing his shit off and not really selling anything unless it's a super premium price. Post it all up and down Facebook. He's been trying to sell that same stuff for a long time now.

~JM~

Did you make payment with PayPal?

If so, file a claim.

Organicjedi

I hate to bash people, but I will say I've noticed a certain douchy vibe coming from that guy.

It's good to remember to see DETAILED pictures of the actual item before sending that kind of cash over. This can be tough when you're excited about a deal and you're in a community where you can usually trust people. Unfortunately a man's word goes only as far as his integrity.

Daytona Z

Yes i paid that much. I did use pay pal and did file a claim. I will be filing a police report tomorrow. The free market can be crazy sometimes. And I've been bit.  As far as I know DG did make an arm for a daytona. So It being a rare item I was interested. Wether its a lame upgrade or inferior to steel is subjective that I'm not going to debate. It would have been period correct aftermarket upgrade. I was not looking for heads just the arm. So I've only been back in the 2 stroke seen since february. I've been scouring the internet and rat holing parts for months. I didn't want to do a week by week build post but rather do a write up after the fact. 
The very next day I ordered the Trac Dynamics arm I read here on 2 Stroke world of the guy who just received his swingarm after waiting 6 months.WTF!? And now this!!!! Time to powder coat the stock arm!

RDFL

I was going to order a Trac several months ago glad I didn't now.

Yamaha 179

What you have is a case of mail fraud.  I know, everyone will say there was no postal service contact involved, but the laws (at least when I was involved with them) included telephone calls and I presume they would include texting also.  Plus you spoke to him on the phone after the item was delivered to your door. 

We were involved in a small business I started to support my racing habit.  I was a loss prevention manager for a large catalog distribution center dealing directly with phone and mail customers.  We dealt with schemes similar to this all the time; usually involving claims of non-delivery, wrong merchandise, or credit card fraud.  In our little business I had one machinist that I sent parts and payment to that failed to deliver the job and return the parts or money; he just strung me along with excuses.  After many, many months I got tired of the situation.  I wrote the guy a letter, sent it certified, and told him I was applying for an arrest warrant.  The next day I went to the Sheriff's Office.  The detective took my complaint and said she would apply for an arrest warrant.  A couple of days later the detective called to say she reached the fellow by phone and explained she was about to apply for warrant for his arrest for fraud and that while the local police might not treat that as an active matter (because the dollar amount was small) if he were to be stopped for a traffic ticket or when he went to register his car he would likely be arrested and held in jail until the matter could be resolved.  I got a money order refund in a few days and my parts back in a week or ten days. 

My case was much smaller than yours and I live in a small county in Georgia where people are friendly and helpful.  I didn't get any more than the law allowed, but, when I went in I had all my supporting documents, UPS receipts, email copies, copies of telephone records showing when I called him, etc.  Plus, it helps to go in in a positive frame of mind and with a good attitude.  Don't go in with your ass on your shoulder.  If they tell you they can't help you  and this is a civil matter just politely say that this fellow has used  the phones and mail to defraud you and you want to file a criminal complaint.  If that doesn't work call the Magistrate's Office or the Circuit DA.  They too are public servants and should be able to help you.  (Sometimes overworked police will shift the responsibility to the local where the crime occurred, i.e., his place of residence, in an effort to brush you off.  Lean on them because your protection is their responsibility.)
Lyn Garland

Daytona Z

Lyn Garland  thats excellent advice. I didn't even think of that angle. It has more teeth. Thanks Z

sav0r

There's no way PayPal won't refund you. That doesn't mean they will punish the seller, but they likely will by withdrawing the funds from his account without notice.

I won a large $ PayPal claim against BestBuy after they scammed me out of my BestBuy points and charged me for the items I bought with said points. BestBuy was prepared to let me get screwed. PayPal isn't the greatest if you are selling on eBay, otherwise they are as forgiving as any other "bank" or "lender."
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

oxford

And as a side note with PayPal, it is always best to pay the sellers PayPal fees instead of sending friends and family even if ignore means a little more out of your pocket.

Hawaii-Mike

Sorry to hear you got burned.  That sale seemed too good to be true.  Maybe 40 years after the DG swingarms were made somebody's having a sale on them.

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC