Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

To expansion pipe or not?

Started by bheezy27403, October 21, 2021, 09:39:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bheezy27403

I recently picked up a "74 RD350. It has new top end with the work done by Chuck Quenzler in Fla. The bike runs very well in it's current form and I'm quite enjoying it. Me being me, I'm always looking for a touch more. All of my (forgive me for I have sinned) 4T's have been tweaked. Usually airbox removal, pipes, and jetting. New pipes on the injected bikes as well. So the question is, do I leave well enough alone or buy the DG pipes for sale in the classified ads currently on this site. What does that entail? Just a rejet? The bike is currently sans airbox with the 2 into 1 filter. What can be expected with the pipe addition? Let it be known this is not going to be a racer so rideability is my main concern. If it could still be smooth with the power staying around where it is now with it's decent torque curve but a little more umph and sound I'm in. Are these things possible?

m in sc

I mean, IMHO i think chambers will always help with overall power.. but there's costs/tradeoffs. for example, say goodbye to the centerstand and you need to modify the side stand position, or at least how it sits on the bike.

I know of 1 currently made pipe that retains both, thats the j&l retro pipes. 

Is it worth it? for dgs not IMHO. for maybe garrets pipes, or specII's or j&l yes but then you def need to retune.  If you are liking it the way it is, leave it alone. does it have elec ignition? if not, id look at that next.
:twocents:

sav0r

When DG's were $250 shipped (what I paid 7 years ago), that was an epic deal. At almost $500 for a new set, I don't think they are worth it. For that used set, maybe...

Now that the prices are ridiculous for DG's, i'd seriously be considering Garret's pipes.

The center stand was never that big of a deal to me.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

rodneya

If you are going to replace the stock pipes, you need something that looks a little sexy on the bike.

Anybody ever ran these?
https://patriotracingindustries.com/exhaust/

Ad claims they are working on a swingarm as well. Interesting.

bheezy27403

Quote from: m in sc on October 21, 2021, 10:42:14 AM
I mean, IMHO i think chambers will always help with overall power.. but there's costs/tradeoffs. for example, say goodbye to the centerstand and you need to modify the side stand position, or at least how it sits on the bike.

I know of 1 currently made pipe that retains both, thats the j&l retro pipes. 

Is it worth it? for dgs not IMHO. for maybe garrets pipes, or specII's or j&l yes but then you def need to retune.  If you are liking it the way it is, leave it alone. does it have elec ignition? if not, id look at that next.
:twocents:

I do like the centerstand on a bike that requires as much maintenance as a 47 year old one will, but, it's not a deal breaker. Not real keen to mess around with moving the side stand unless there is some sort of plug and play piece for it. What does the side stand modification entail?

As for ignition it is still running points.

rd400canuck

Im with m in sc.. if you want some more id go electronic ignition. I added the treatland hpi system to my bike and the mid range was noticeably better. Ive since removed it only because the flywheel is ultra lite and i missed being able to have a low idle. My big thing with my rd is ro have it the best for bombing around town and the high idle and subsequent extra smoke wasnt to my liking. I will say that most guys dont care or even pay any attention to this. Im probably the only one ro have ever complained about it lol.

Ive recently ordered a Vape from EconomyCycle because it has a bigger flywheel like the ones on rz350's so that will get me the flywheel effect i desire. Also im not a fan of loud and 1 i to 2 intake drone is something i will always avoid... same with chambers.. id love the extra power but for an around town bike the noise isnt something i want.

SoCal250

Quote from: rodneya on October 21, 2021, 11:42:47 AM
If you are going to replace the stock pipes, you need something that looks a little sexy on the bike.

Anybody ever ran these?
https://patriotracingindustries.com/exhaust/

Ad claims they are working on a swingarm as well. Interesting.

That's Chris Redpath's company. (The company was recently rebranded from MotoGP Werks to Patriot Racing.) A lot of top-tier race team experience in that shop! I've been meaning to go over there and check them out because they're not too far from me. The pipes are a new product so I don't think anyone here has tried them yet, but it would be interesting to hear a comparison. Back in 2012 he had some prototypes available for the RD400 but I don't believe they ever went commercial with them back then.

The comment on their site about CalFab swingarms coming soon is exciting!
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

RDFL

85RZwade

$449? For those?? There's about to be another set of DGs available!
I post waayyy too much

m in sc

i just wrote them and asked if they can or will do t500 exhausts. the options out there are dismal. the titan performance pipes are pretty but.. well, performance sucks.

85RZwade

I'm 'kin IN. Placed a pre-order, so I'll be the guinea pig on these  :metal:
I post waayyy too much

RDFL

RDFL

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 21, 2021, 04:00:02 PM
I'm 'kin IN. Placed a pre-order, so I'll be the guinea pig on these  :metal:
I wonder if the more pre orders the faster produced? Maybe they are waiting for a certain amount.

85RZwade

The more the merrier! Ring-da-da-ding, ding, ding-ding
I post waayyy too much

Striker1423

Quote from: 85RZwade on October 21, 2021, 04:31:50 PM
The more the merrier! Ring-da-da-ding, ding, ding-ding
Enabler! LOL.

I do like my Retro's after Garrett fixed the leaky manifold though... AND since getting the frame powder coated the pin for the center stand wouldn't go back in without sanding the stuff out and.... I don't really miss it yet.