This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dogster Chambers

Started by LMS, January 13, 2023, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

teazer

Interesting point about costs. 

I have a set of badly dented Jemco pipes here that were mauled by a minivan driver not paying attention. So I need to replace probably 6 cones and the belly part of all 3 and if I buy those at say 80 bucks for a rolled and welded cone, that' adds up to 720 bucks plus there's some assembly required.

So I shall buy a sheet of 20 gauge mild steel, create templates, cut the sheet into parts, roll them and weld them and I am guessing that at a moderate hourly rate that would still cost the owner almost as much as a new set of pipes.  At least we can still use the stubs and headers and probably the rear cones and mufflers.

There's a lot of work in making pipes and it isn't cost effective unless you make them buy the truckload. No wonder JEmco and DG and Gary S want a lot more for pipes than they used to.

m in sc

on a tangent here:

the reality is, most hard and tried and true tuners that have been in the game forever dont like to tune outside their comfort zone, with different pipes, intakes, etc. that' just how most are and therefore, id def take some 'old timer pros' advice with a grain of salt. they like to use what they are familiar with. that's true across -all- hobbies. 

As an example, an unnamed tried and true tuner also claims you need a keyway to keep a rotor from slipping on a crankshaft. some TZ's didn't even come with one and its not true. but they wont put a cdi on w out one.   Mine sbeen on for almost 2 decades, the only time it slipped was because I used a shitty washer that collapsed. 

another one claimed case reeds would -never- work on a kawi triple. which was proven wrong with around 130 RWHP on a dyno shortly thereafter (a bike i've had the privilege of riding).

I'll be honest, if i were looking to build a bike id be willing to try a set out of brazil. if they were total garbage he probably wouldn't last too long selling them. I think DG's sell on nostaligia and ease of availability.

LMS

Well, I took one for the team, so to speak. It will take some time for him to build and ship them. Hopefully they arrive, and in one piece. 
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

2 Smoker

I had those on my watch list and seen they were purchased.

He responded to my shipping inquiry very quik, the shipping was on the ebay page as $200.00 North America and the response was this.

Hi Jim, how are you?

The shipping to you is USD 115 ok? It takes 14 yo 18 days in travel. And we need some days to manufacture the pipes, as you can see in the ad.

Let me know if you want to order, so i can make an ad to you with the right cost of the shipping for your city.

Thanks for the contact, and regards.

Andreia.
Dogster Exhausts.

RDFL

Quote from: LMS on January 16, 2023, 05:28:06 PM
Well, I took one for the team, so to speak. It will take some time for him to build and ship them. Hopefully they arrive, and in one piece.
Dogsters? If so like Mark I would give them a try, if I didn't already have so many pipes would order some now.

RDFL

I will soon order a set of Ktec 2 into 1 pipes just for the look and curiosity.

LMS

Quote from: 2 Smoker on January 16, 2023, 05:38:30 PM
I had those on my watch list and seen they were purchased.

He responded to my shipping inquiry very quik, the shipping was on the ebay page as $200.00 North America and the response was this.

Hi Jim, how are you?

The shipping to you is USD 115 ok? It takes 14 yo 18 days in travel. And we need some days to manufacture the pipes, as you can see in the ad.

Let me know if you want to order, so i can make an ad to you with the right cost of the shipping for your city.

Thanks for the contact,and regards.

Andreia.
Dogster Exhausts.

Pretty much exactly what he said to me. Super nice guy, shipping was 118.
Over a month ago he had the same add up, but it went away. I think it's because he will sell a set, build them, then put another add up on ebay after. He has a website as well, and from what I can tell, it looks like he builds all sorts of pipes for a lot of different 2 strokes. I gather he's also a one man show.
If anyone else is interested, PM him, tell him where you live, and he will PM you back the shipping cost. If you agree he will create another Ebay add for you with the correct shipping. But you might want to wait until I get mine and can at least post some pix of what they look like. My bike is in pieces right now, plus it's colder than he|| here, so I will not be able to actually install them for months. Also, I'm not sure I will be a great person to listen too when I do install them and run them as I'm a serious rookie with these bikes.

m in sc

this is getting interesting for sure. Im excited to see how they do. always good to have another source if they are decent.

SoCal250

Did you order the mild steel or stainless version?  With only $30 difference it seems like an easy decision!
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

LMS

Quote from: SoCal250 on January 17, 2023, 12:03:33 AM
Did you order the mild steel or stainless version?  With only $30 difference it seems like an easy decision!

I thought long and hard about that and it came down to looks. Yeah, form over function, per say. I just don't like the looks of SS or chrome. I had a SS muffler on one of my cars and the color it turned made me paint it after that. I think raw steel looks the best. Which brings up another question and that's... what does one coat these with? Read about mop n glo which blows my mind. I mean who actually tried that the first time and then realized it works? Is that the best route? Then there is wd-40, maybe Gibbs, etc. If Mop N Glo is the route, is there a process?
Thanks.

Striker1423

Beat me to it! Was thinking he same thing about the RD350 front fender from Vietnam. One left at a discount on ebay. Sure, just to see... But, I don't need it as my fender is already done.

John Ritter

I would ask what exhaust port timing range they are built for (blowdown is important too but...), reason I mention this is because the RD350 cylinders in India have restricted exhaust ports, possible Brazil has something different from what we are familiar with.

Evans Ward

Yamaha had a plant in Brazil producing the RD350LC from 1986-93. I think some restrictions were present for their builds. Even though the model name was different, it was basically a fully faired RZ350.

https://www.rd350lc.net/pageBRAZIL.htm

1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

2 Smoker

Quote from: RDFL on January 16, 2023, 05:52:49 PM
I will soon order a set of Ktec 2 into 1 pipes just for the look and curiosity.

I have been eyeballing these also for some time, it will be nice to finally see some write ups on these different sets of Chambers.

2 Smoker

Quote from: John Ritter on January 17, 2023, 10:02:07 AM
I would ask what exhaust port timing range they are built for (blowdown is important too but...), reason I mention this is because the RD350 cylinders in India have restricted exhaust ports, possible Brazil has something different from what we are familiar with.

Now that is some good information