Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

vintage smoke iggy

Started by lawnboy, November 26, 2021, 01:38:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AAAltered

I had a bad pickup some time back.  First it was intermittently cutting out but finally died.

I swapped the pickups to prove it.

Pro tip:  If your pickup is bad, buy a KZ or CB Dyna S kit from Ebay for 120ish.  Use the pickup on your VS plate.  Stash remaining new pickup for 'next time'.   The secret sauce of the VS iggy is the plate, everything else is standard Dyna...

Also, be VERY CAREFUL with the tiny set screws holding the components to the plate - the aluminum is very shallow and doesn't hold any torque, they will strip/pull out easily.
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

lawnboy

Thanks for the input guys.
Diggin into it I found the brushes were hardly makin any contact to generator. Pulled the brush holder and one brushes was way shorter than the other(may not have even been makin contact to the generator). Then the solder connection broke to one of them. Could this be part of my problem? Rest of the wires seem ok so in the mean time I'm gonna see if I have some spares before I order new brushes.

sav0r

Reverse the coil connections and see if the non working side fires. If it doesn't you likely have a bad coil or bad wiring to that coil. If it does fire, you know it's the dyna pickup.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

lawnboy

man electrical gremlins really f with my head.

lawnboy

Quote from: sav0r on January 02, 2022, 05:39:27 PM
Reverse the coil connections and see if the non working side fires. If it doesn't you likely have a bad coil or bad wiring to that coil. If it does fire, you know it's the dyna pickup.

so it's lookin like i need to trace the grey wire from the coil backwards.

Striker1423

Swap the coil wires at the coils themselves (gray swaps with the blue one if memory serves me right). The connections are up on the frame near the coils.

Start with the pickup that you know works. For example, if the left cylinder is sparking, you know that coil and pickup is working. When you swap the coils, you simply are telling the left pickup to spark the right cylinder and vice-versa. If the SWAPPED coil is fine, then the right plug should spark. If the coil is dead, you'll get NO spark.

Proceed ahead if you get spark from both cylinders on the known good pickup, as you have then eliminated the coil as the problem.

The second pickup should cause spark since you verified its getting power if both coils test good on the swap you performed. If no spark, either the pickup is shorted to ground (frayed wires are common), or the pickup itself is bad and can be replaced as suggested above me.

lawnboy

sorted!!!!!

Chasing continuity from the coil back I found the soldered splice I made on the grey wire was f'd must have happened while fishing everything through the damn grommet at the case.

thanks everybody.

m in sc

nice, good when its an easy win.  :clap:

Striker1423