News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Recent posts

Events / Re: Donut Derelicts - May 04, ...
Last post by busa1300 - May 05, 2024, 11:12:34 PM
Wish there were cool shows like that somewhere remotely close to me... only bike shows in my area are push rod related  :sad:
Turning Wrenches / 28mm Mikuni - What are these l...
Last post by Joe6v6 - May 05, 2024, 09:10:22 PM
I assume these are the stock carburetors,77 RD400, what are the inlets in the middle. Are they overflow for the float bowl? What are the other 2 smaller diameter inlets? Where should I run these lines to. Seems very difficult to find a diagram of all the lines that come off these carbs. 
(not mine)

This Daytona sold on BaT a little over a year and a half ago for $9500, today it sold for $16,750! :eek: And it appears the seller made no changes and only put 30 miles on it.

1979 Yamaha RD400F Daytona Special
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1979-yamaha-rd400-daytona-special-10/
Sold for $16,750 on 5/5/24
(not mine)
Sort of crazy money for a not-stock 400. (Repainted in the wrong shade of red.) I mean it's clean but holy smokes!

1976 Yamaha RD400C
https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1976-yamaha-rd400c-10/
Sold for $11,250 on 5/5/24 (that's $11,812 with buyer's fee, and then there's any shipping costs on top of that)
General Chatter / 2024 The Quail Motorcycle Gath...
Last post by kpke - May 05, 2024, 03:26:16 PM
Well, it was fun for a couple of hours...

Race Discussions / Re: 2024 MotoGP - Roberts
Last post by SoCal250 - May 05, 2024, 03:23:00 PM
MotorSport.com: THE RIDER MAKING A BREAKTHROUGH TO AWAKEN MOTOGP'S "SLEEPING GIANT"

Pretty cool stats:
-- For the first time since 2006, an American rider leads the standings in a grand prix class of the MotoGP world championship.
-- 3 podiums in a row, the first rider to do that in any GP class since Nicky Hayden in 2006.
-- And coincidentally, Roberts currently has 69 points.

Looking forward to what he can do at Le Mans! :patriot:
Events / Re: Donut Derelicts - May 04, ...
Last post by SoCal250 - May 05, 2024, 01:56:08 PM
Quote from: RDnuTZ on May 05, 2024, 10:06:35 AM
Quote from: SoCal250 on May 04, 2024, 11:32:23 PMThis Holden LX Torana SS rolled in late. Right hand drive and it sounded pretty mean. I dig it.
That Holden body shape looks to be derived from a Vega. I always wanted a Cosworth Vega back in the day but it would have been a never-ending series of engine failures from what I remember reading at the time. IIRC it had Aluminum block that turned out to be better in theory than application for production cars?
A friend of mine had a Cosworth Vega in high school. Pretty rare car for a 17-year-old to be ripping around So Cal in.
Events / Re: Deals Gap Prep 2024
Last post by SoCal250 - May 05, 2024, 12:39:40 PM
I've heard that road paving has been going on at the Dragon and daily closures are to be expected for almost a month. Hopefully the group will be able to work around this. And new pavement will be nice and smooth but greasy for a while
Turning Wrenches / Setting points by dwell
Last post by RDDave - May 05, 2024, 12:07:19 PM
I set points with a feeler gauge many, many times on my cars and bikes way back when. But I haven't done that in a long time. For decades now I have used a dwell meter. It is not only more accurate but is much easier. So I have been surprised that there has not been more information on this for and from the guys that still have point ignitions on their RDs like me.

Anyway, I spent yesterday experimenting with this. In the end, a .013" point gap gets you about 45* of dwell on the 4 cylinder setting of a dwell meter. I spent a good amount of time going back and forth between the 2 sets of points trying to get them both as close to .013" as I could. But they were a few degrees dwell different every time. Now I understand that a slight difference between the point settings is not a big deal. But setting them both at 45* with the dwell meter while it is idling is much quicker and easier, besides being more accurate, than using a feeler gauge.

And good dwell meters have a test setting. So, I can now pull the side cover off and check the condition and setting of the points and adjust if necessary, in just a couple of minutes.

And my spark plug life has been much shorter than it should be. So, I bought a pair of the NGK Iridiums. So far, so good. If something changes there, I'll post that. And by the way, O'Reilly's had the best price at $10.60 for non commercial accounts for the BR8HIX. My store did not stock them, but ordered them in and had them the next morning. 
Events / Re: Deals Gap Prep 2024
Last post by RDnuTZ - May 05, 2024, 10:12:53 AM
love the look of the RD350 built like that!  I'm still hoping to put together something similar in this lifetime. I have all the bits and core bike, but life happened in other directions since I started collecting everything for the build in the late 1990s.