News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Recent posts

Turning Wrenches / Re: Best year of USA spec RD35...
Last post by RDnuTZ - May 01, 2024, 10:27:05 AM
I had to sell my 1975s years ago while thinning the herd for major relocation. I do however still have 2 1974s and a nice set of Orange bodywork I kept that will go on 1 of the 1974s once I get around to building it. I might have just stumbled into a best of both year's combos for that project  :cool:
General Chatter / Re: Look what somebody did to ...
Last post by m in sc - May 01, 2024, 09:57:18 AM
there were parts and the complete bike. I did get 2 sets of wheels from him, beautiful set of side covers, seat, tail section, etc.  IMHO it s a 'parts tart', doesn't visually flow and lots of 'race' parts on a stock motor. the number plate/twin headlight things needs to be thrown in a trash compactor.

the front end IS sweet,.. if it were on a 73 and back bike, for sure. I mean, taste is objective, of course. and i also have a cheap steel tank on my lightweight, but it's not a show bike and the only safe lighter option would have been aluminum.  So, i get using a 'cheap' tank, but ffs. 
Last post by Jspooner - May 01, 2024, 12:35:14 AM
I like it as well, except for the front end. To me that looks out of place. Still a nice build though.
Last post by Kawtriplefreak - May 01, 2024, 12:28:20 AM
I have no other hobbies either and 75 is the best year :taz:  :taz:
Last post by dgorms - April 30, 2024, 08:30:41 PM
Mark, what about chasing donuts! That's a hobby.
Last post by teazer - April 30, 2024, 06:45:11 PM
I like it.

That Robinson 4LS brake has to have cost 3 grand plus another grand or more for the replica Ceriani forks just to get started.  That brake should be as good as any period disk and looks better than a disk, but it is really a decade too old.

Some really expensive parts plus a 100 dollar gas tank from China which seems a little out of place on a high dollar build, but maybe that's just me.  I used one on a Cb160 build and it was well made but a bit out of place I thought. 

The pictures show it as a pile of rusty parts so not sure where the complete 79 went or the pictures don't tell the story - who knows.

That seat to frame gap at the rear is not nicely finished at all, but overall, that was a lot of work by someone and the final bill comes as no surprise.
Last post by irk_miller - April 30, 2024, 05:49:14 PM
Quote from: m in sc on April 30, 2024, 07:47:35 AMit was a 100% complete bike in decent shape. original paint, etc.

few years ago i had a bunch of daytona stuff for sale, which i got from the owner of THAT bike, so i know 1st hand, it was def not a bike that should have been cut up IMHO. I have my specials that basically started as bins of parts, I get it.   
Yeah, that does make it a bit of a shame.  I'm in my 50s now and I have come to appreciate survivors much more now than I did in my teens and twenties.  I was the teen getting bitched at by my old man for stripping down an all original mint 1961 VW Beetle to drag race it.  I hesitate to criticize anyone for doing what I have done myself.  It's like music- we all have our own tastes.  That being said, I am increasingly frustrated as my tastes have shifted and now I want something like an OG Daytona, for a price I can afford, that doesn't look drug up from the bottom of the Savannah river. 
Last post by m in sc - April 30, 2024, 04:58:53 PM
i have no other hobbies.  :huh:  :ohdear: 
Last post by m in sc - April 30, 2024, 04:57:55 PM
to quote Tommy boy:

" I can get a good look at a T-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but I'd rather take a butcher's word for it."
Last post by RDnuTZ - April 30, 2024, 04:48:50 PM
np. I'm sure you've forgotten more than I ever knew on these bikes  :guinness: