Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

THE ONE MOTORCYCLE SHOW - KEN'S JOURNEY

Started by kpke, April 19, 2024, 12:05:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kpke

You are welcome Jim and thanks for the comments Wade.

Saturday, 4/20/24 DAY TWO OF THE ONE MOTORCYCLE SHOW

My oldest brother and his wife came up from Bend Friday night. Saturday morning we walked to the show.

Crossing over Highway 5 on this footbridge you can see this cable tram right above you. The elevation does not show up in this photo. This tram connects that hospital up there to another hospital facility down below and is used to transport people between the two facilities. There are no supports between the two ends. Quite interesting.

Saturday seemed to just about double the crowds at the show.

The Vincent's were part of a well coordinated stunt show. One of their team came over while I was looking at the bikes and I asked how they were able to get a "bathroom" for each motorcycle. He said they paid them a few dollars.

These two officers were genuinely interested in my motorcycle. They were very friendly and seemed to be having a great time at the show. I mentioned that I would probably be in trouble with them if they saw me on this loud and stinky bike. They both said absolutely not and would either just enjoy it or possibly turn and look the other way.

Both of our better halves walked over a little while later and joined in the fun. My brother and his wife seemed to really enjoy the stunt shows. It's always fun to watch these FMX guys in action. Today they were able to do a whole lot more than yesterday when it was super windy and they had to cut it short for safety reasons.

And the aforementioned Vincent show was quite entertaining.

Walking back from atop the footbridge you can see in this photo that this is a really fantastic venue for this event. There are activities on the right, the main motorcycle show in the big building, and activities and food on the left.

And just before we got back to Sarah's house there was a fire in the neighborhood.

Saturday evening Sarah's brother (my nephew) and my other older brother from Podunk town, Oregon, showed up and we had a pizza party. :Party
https://www.youtube.com/c/KensGarage1
Hord of RZ350's
RZV500 R6 Suspension and Bodywork
R1 LE #158

kpke

Sunday, 4/21/24 DAY THREE OF THE ONE MOTORCYCLE SHOW

In the morning I met RZ Charlie at the show. Charlie and I have known each other for 10 or 15 years but never met. We are RZ forum friends. It was great to finally meet you in person Charlie.

I hope to see you again my Oregon friend.

After Charlie left I went back to Sarah's house to get Pam. We needed to get back to the show to hook up the trailer and set it up in a big line of trucks and trailers staging for loading out of the show.

We watched the awards presentation which was quite enjoyable. Here is a small sample.

After that it was time to move motorcycles out and get them over to the trailer.

I dirt rode my 500 and then pushed Julian's bike. Pam took some great photos in the loading zone with bridges in the background.

After returning to Sarah's house I met her next door neighbor, an optometrist.

He flies that two stroke para motor thing and he has a little hobby car. He has swapped out the original 500cc engine with a 650cc. What a cool little car.

Hord of RZ350's
R1 LE #158

pdxjim

Great pics, glad you had a good time in out fair city, and I see a few familiar faces in those pics.  Good to see my pal Charlie Tigard.  He comes out to our annual 2T ride every fall.

Thanks also for keeping the 2T faith.  I think your RD500 in a modern chassis is a great way to appeal to the new generation of squids who only know "dirtbikes", "harleys" and "sportbikes", and were born too late to appreciate vintage Japanese bikes of the 70's and '80's.

Thor was in sang-froidridingclub.com back in the day, and my TDR was in the first few One Shows.  I'm really stoked to see how it has blown up and become such a big deal nationwide.  Most motorcycle folks and curious hangers on are looking for something to belong to, I think the One Show fills that void.

I haven't been in a few years.  I should probably check it out.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

kpke

Thanks again Jim. Interesting to hear your history at the early shows. Very cool.

Monday, 4/22/24 THE ONE MOTORCYCLE SHOW JOURNEY COMES TO AN END

A little more on Sunday. After packing and loading some stuff for the trip home we went for a wonderful hike leaving at 5 PM. Once again Portland delivers. It was beautiful lush greenery the whole time we hiked. Sarah and Troy (and Huxley) had me drive their Tesla there and back. This was a first for me driving a Tesla. Troy switched it to self-driving mode on the way there. As we got close there was a switchback type turn. The car miscalculated and had to be manually reversed and driven around this corner. Was an interesting experience driving this thing.

In the morning a little after 6 AM we pulled out for the drive home.

Going this direction the views of Mount Shasta are even better. And last for a long time.

We chose not to stop in our city.

And just a short while later, after dropping off Julian's bike at his house it was back to home sweet home.

Oh yes, if someone finds a trailer vent on I5 N somewhere between Livermore and Portland, will you please just drop it off on my porch? Thank you.

It would look something like this one that is ready to fall off also due to rotted plastic rivets.

Still need to go out and wash the bug splatter and dirt off the truck. Maybe today.

All in all, this was a wonderful journey to Portland and back. A bit too much driving though. So will we do it again next year?
Hord of RZ350's
R1 LE #158

pdxjim

Next time you pass thru Williams, stop here for lunch.  Great old-school Italian deli.

https://www.granzellas.com/
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

dgorms

Excellent Ken, I almost feel like I was there!
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

STLMike

That's awesome! Looks like you had a blast. Thanks for taking the time to document and upload pics of the show.