Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Mmmmm, marinated calipers

Started by The Red Scourge, April 21, 2022, 04:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Red Scourge

When your replacement brake calipers come pre-marinated in brake fluid from eBay.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR
'90 Yamaha FZR400/600 hybrid

RDryan

Oh boy that's a mess. I assume these are used condition and if so I hope they are exactly as described.   :undecided:
FWIW I had a sticky front caliper on my RD250 and I got a very nice OEM replica replacement on EBAY. It was super affordable, came with the Yamaha logo sticker that you had to stick on yourself, well packed with absolutely no unwanted fluids. The only real difference I could tell was it was made of aluminum so much lighter than the steel original.

The Red Scourge

Yeah, they're as described.  They're Nissin calipers for CBR400rr.  The originals are seriously knackered.  I've never seen calipers that bad.  I'll post them in my build thread when I get a chance.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR

RDryan

Ahh I see. Well I am absolutely of no help, just entertaining. In my case the new repros were so gosh darn cheap it was ridiculous to rebuild the old ones. Honestly though calipers can be worth rebuilding for sure...most of the time.  :whistle:

The Red Scourge

I totally agree.  These may be save-able, but there a lot of corrosion where the outer dust seal seats.  I can probably clean it up.  Hopefully it still seals well enough.  The replacements were $40 with shipping and I love to have spares.
'76 Yamaha RD400C
'71 Kawasaki G3SS
'88 Honda CBR400RR