Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

rd350lc reed block

Started by Gil Gallad, April 16, 2023, 09:27:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gil Gallad

just a quick question. i've got a 250lc top end on my gt250 engine - i wanted a watercooled gt250  :cool: will the rd350lc reed block fit into the 250 inlet manifold? the bolt hole distances are the same and my 250 reed block seems to have plenty of wiggle room, both up and down and side to side. just like to know before i order the 350 reed block. what i don't want is to start machining the inlet manifold. all answers gratefully accepted. many thanks.
cheers, gil.

1976RD400C

Don't know if the 350LC reed assembly is the same as a RZ350 but the RZ uses a 50mm X 50mm actual square box that reed petals attach to. RD reed box is 40mm X 42mm.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

yes it bolts in. so do aircooled 250/350/400 reed assemblies.

Gil Gallad

thanks you 2  :smiley: i'll go ahead and buy the 350 reed block assemblies. i've got the same on my reed valve gt250, but i built the inlet manifolds myself specifically for the 350 reed blocks. only problem is trying to find the bigger balance pipe, which seem to be in short supply over here  :haw:
cheers, gil.

teazer

IIRC, RD250/350/400 A/c or W/c all had fairly small reeds and cages. The LC250 has decent transfer ports and can make almost as much power as a 350, so you might want to check out YZ85 cages.  They flow more that TZ750 or RZ350. If your motor doesn't need the reed area, don't worry, the reeds only open as far as they need to so you won't lose much low end if any.

m in sc

rm100 will also go in well (v force). same tip area as yz85 but no grinding, just drill the bolt holes to 9.5mm in the cage.

(side note, rz350 (powervalve motor) cages are way bigger and wont go right in )

Gil Gallad

thanks again. let me backtrack a couple of years to the reed valve gt250 i built - my very first attempt at anything home built reed valve system. i actually bought a set of v-force reeds for it, right, the reed cage was specifically built to fit ypvs reeds and carb rubbers. i fitted the v-force reeds and then came to put the carb rubbers on. of course they won't go on because of the stuffers sticking out. or am i missing something glaringly obvious? please don't shout at me as i'm a very sensitive person  :haw:
cheers, gil.
p.s. i looked at the yz85 v-force reeds and again i've got the same problem with the carb rubbers.

Jspooner

You have to cut the stuffers off to use V-Force reeds.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

pdxjim

Much easier to use the UPP urethane manifolds that come with out the stuffer ears
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

Gil Gallad

thanks everybody that answered. i actually looked for some carb rubbers without the stuffer ears, but never did find any. not on ebay uk anyway  :eek:
cheers, gil.

kramdua

i just cleaned up the stock reed castings and added tdr reeds.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

Gil Gallad

thanks mark, but jeezus, HOW MUCH? after deliberating in the pub last night i thought sod it and just ordered a pair of 250lc rubbers. i've already got 2 stage reeds and a balance pipe that fits, so that's the route i'm going on this build. however i might rejig the original reed valve engine i built and have a play with the v-force set-up  :Clown:
cheers, gil.
p.s. i found this page just after i'd asked the question about v-force reeds: http://www.mototassinari.com/pdf/VForce3R4R_universal_installation_instructions.pdf