Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Shifter arm rd400

Started by rd400greenhorn, August 08, 2020, 12:17:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IR8D8R

The way you have the linkage rod attached diagonally from inside the foot shift lever to outside the selector arm makes it stiffer to shift.

On the 400 you should be able to install the linkage on the inside of both. On the 350 there isn't enough clearance and the linkage rod needs to go on the outside of both. Then it gets in the way. The photos on the manufacturer's website show only the 400- mounted inside.

These shifters are a little stiff at first but they do loosen up. I have one on my RD350.

Chuck suggested drilling and tapping a second hole for the linkage on the shift lever closer to the pivot point to shorten the throw. I have not tried this.

I will probably replace this rearset in the future. I am not in love with how it shifts. The design is elegant looking but function isn't great.

I have other problems:

1) The mounting threads on the footpegs are integrally machined rather than a replaceable bolt. The material is very soft steel. If you forget to fold the kick-start side peg and kick hard it will strip the threads off the steel when the kicker hits.

2) Also the ball-spring mechanism that holds the pegs folded down is weak and the peg folds up too easily. I am constantly folding them back down while riding.   

IR8D8R