Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Intake spacers,

Started by Karl squire, September 24, 2023, 08:03:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Karl squire

So a question about Intake spacers, how do they impact performance, I'm reading more lower end torque, also if you put the intake spacers in front of the read blocks if that is a good idea or not ? Anyone have experience with this ?

sav0r

Yes. Lot's have had good luck with spacers on various engines. You haven't specified which motor, but the idea is to increase crankcase volume and sometimes you can get rid of some port crowding and improve flow.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Vintagetz

The also allow you to put larger reeds in with less porting.  The spacers are virtually required to put V-force Banshee reeds into an RD.  The intake boxes taper will normally break out if you open them enough to get the reed in with a spacer.

m in sc

the real benefit on an air-cooled rd motor is it unshrouds the boost port (that's the trench on the top of the intake). also, you don't need 'huge' reeds, get rm100 v-force reeds, no cutting needed they fit right into the stock cage hole. ;) Im running 34s thru a set of cyls chuck q ported and it runs quite well. More tip area then most anyone on here will ever need.

as far as moving the power around, they can def be used to do that very effectively but it takes experimenting.

Karl squire

Based on the replies here, I have some research to do before I ask more but one question I do have, These are basically used to place in-between the barrel and the read cage, is that correct? What kind of impact does it have if they are installed between the read cage and the manifold?

m in sc

usually yes, but i have seen them used between the intake and the reed to thwart reversion issues. also, a longer intake will increase bottom end/midrange. 

I mean, if the motor is basically stock ported, a 6mm spacer between the reed and barrel is a std go-to solution. .02

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 25, 2023, 09:08:34 AMusually yes, but i have seen them used between the intake and the reed to thwart reversion issues. also, a longer intake will increase bottom end/midrange. 

I mean, if the motor is basically stock ported, a 6mm spacer between the reed and barrel is a std go-to solution. .02
Ok Thank you, more questions to come but before I ask what could be redundant questions, I want to read more so I can ask somewhat informed questions. More to come later this week. Cheers

Karl squire

Quote from: m in sc on September 25, 2023, 09:08:34 AMusually yes, but i have seen them used between the intake and the reed to thwart reversion issues. also, a longer intake will increase bottom end/midrange. 

[/quot
Quote from: m in sc on September 24, 2023, 05:47:36 PMthe real benefit on an air-cooled rd motor is it unshrouds the boost port (that's the trench on the top of the intake). also, you don't need 'huge' reeds, get rm100 v-force reeds, no cutting needed they fit right into the stock cage hole. ;) Im running 34s thru a set of cyls chuck q ported and it runs quite well. More tip area then most anyone on here will ever need.

as far as moving the power around, they can def be used to do that very effectively but it takes experimenting.
I changed the positioning of the spacers. from between the in take manifold and the reed cage to between the cylinder and reed cage, definitely as you said moved the power band down a bit, the bike runs much better or at least how I'm use to them running, and as you mentioned, lower down I did seem to loose a bit of lower end I'm glad you mentioned that thank you. I also thought that maybe it changed my jetting, maybe a little bit but not enough to worry about, I did change a bit and it ran not as well, so back to the 35's and 2nd clip, it seems to run really smooth with that configuration. I made a vid of the plug chop of the mid range while the needle was on the 2nd clip and it looks pretty good.

m in sc

motodreams

If you want more info buy and read the book Two-Stroke Performance Tuning by A. Graham Bell.  It will give you all the info you need to try and build a good amateur motor.  The standard slap on bigger parts doesn't always work for 2-strokes as you are dealing with more complex fluid dynamics.  Its a very worthwhile read and will provide lots of motivation!