Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Questions (vape wiring)

Started by Joshua, May 31, 2020, 07:22:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joshua

Sorry for my elementary questions. I'm prepping to get my bike over to Chuck for first startup. He is helping me tie up my last loose ends. Want to have everything in as much order as I can. Hoping you guys can help me out.

Assuming no battery

1. Blue from ignition coil goes to cut off switch?  Can I have an on/off switch for this. I have a 2 wire switch now, if yes what does the off position wire go to, ground?  In picture the two wires are the switch mounted on other side, I'm pointing to them. 

2. If red from regulator will be running lights (headlight/tail/brake) will I need a distribution block or fused distribution block?  Any guidance on how to distribute the load properly would be of help. All LED lights.

3.  I will not being using the relay, so this is a spare part until I add a battery?

Again wiring is voodoo to me so sorry for the obvious questions, I always hate when I ask stupidly obvious questions.

Czakky

1. Yes off is to ground.

2. Your lighting circuit should go to whatever the positive was on the old system.

3. I think most folks use the relay for a kill switch, but if you're adding a separate kill switch not needed. Plus you'd need a battery.

I'm not familiar with the vape system, but electrons are electrons....

27 Cycles

I believe the Vape is/was the MZB system?  If so, a battery is not needed if you choose not to run one.

Joshua

Yes, it's the mzb

The old system was coming completely striped, so I'm starting from scratch. Which is why I'm asking about a distribution block of some kind, maybe with fuses. It maybe easier to distribute the power from a block even if I really only need the basics now. May add later, but I want to get it Running.

Thanks for the reply's.

1976RD400C

I think you should have a battery eliminator capacitor if you're not going to use a battery. 
https://www.economycycle.com/shop/yamaha-rd250350400r5ds6ds7-parts/electrical-ignitions-lighting/electrical-parts-and-related/batteries-related/battery-eliminator-by-zeeltronic/

Also, a kill switch on the handlebar is recommended for safety.

A little fuse box would be a good idea also for safety. If you have a short it will prevent a wire meltdown. You can fuse the headlight, tail light, brake light separately so if there is a problem with tail or brake light, and blows the fuse, it will not take out the headlight.

https://powerwerx.com/blue-sea-5045-blade-fuse-block-4-circuits?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=*New%20-%20Fuses%20%26%20Circuit%20Protection&utm_term=1101102246637&utm_content=Margin%2040-49%25
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

m in sc

if you have the voltage regulator without the fins, you already have a capacitor in there.  :twocents:

Joshua

Quote from: m in sc on June 01, 2020, 07:20:27 AM
if you have the voltage regulator without the fins, you already have a capacitor in there.  :twocents:

I do. I looked at your (m's) setup on an earlier post I had. I think it was your lightweight bike. I didn't see a fuse block, but I did see one on the bike your running a battery. I know I have to fuse the main supply, but having main supply run into a small fuse panel just seemed like an easy/safe solution to distributing the load. I have just enough room for the one mentioned above (thanks 1976).

Thanks all for your comments. I know when Chuck walks me through the wiring it will all make sense. By the way, Chuck has been a huge help in my build. Couldn't have gotten this far without him being so generous with his knowledge and skills. Huge shout out to a respectable guy!!  Can't wait for first start!!

m in sc

Gotcha. the battery one is on the lc hybrid, it needs a battery for the ignition programmer (zeeltronic). as an fyi.. the battery died over a year ago, i started it, the old regulator went wide open, spiked, and killed the controller, regulator, and a very expensive spa tach/speedo. so, when i bought another regulator from john, he sent me one of the updated ones so that even if the battery dies again, i'm good. keep in mind my battery was 8 yrs old. yes i run a fuse box on it as well.

lightweight has the hpi ign, even though its all ac, there is a fuse inline.

you'll love the cdi, super easy.

Joshua

Great, I'm on the right track then. Just a few more things to button up!  Thanks!