Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

The '75 RD250 endless project

Started by Striker1423, February 14, 2019, 05:06:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

So, this bike has been my project for the last year and a half.

I'm a glutton for punishment, so after just getting it running great on the 250 top-end, a set of 350 cylinders were gifted to me, and the work to change her over is set to be done before spring. But, here she sits after over-hauling a majority of the bike minus the cosmetics. The list is so long it hurts and the pricetag just north of 3K made many of my friends and family shake their heads in disbelief as this bike belonged in the junk-yard according to them (HA!).

https://imgur.com/gallery/1vhJMRp

The only question now is... to see if I should have the tank, oil tank, and side covers repainted given the extent of the chrome damage etc...

Lol, talk about a "survivor". Damn thing looked even worse before I had it.

Hawaii-Mike

Cam

Nice bike! I would love to have a '75 250 some day, love those colors.

My current project is similar to yours, completely redone except for paint and chrome. With a full restore including paint and chrome you would (probably) never see your money back, so it's all a matter of enjoyment and personal taste.

m in sc

my 70 r5 is similar with less dents. I dont plan on repainting.have to have at least 1 stocker/survivor for the time being. I just ride the wheels off of it, love it.  dig that paint scheme, did a 350 in those colors about 10 years ago.

paul1478

I don't think any of us are doing this to make money or even get our money back out of it. I know I'm not. Personally I would paint it but back to stock. Not sure how much it would cost. It is something I will be looking into later this year and also some chrome.

Either way you have a cool bike.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

me either. I just dig my 70 the way it is. I have 100 point restored one before, it was great, but this one is better IMHO.

RDryan

Hey that's the identical twin to my bike. I bought mine about two years ago at the local Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc, etc dealer. And I paid 3,200 bucks for it plus another 750 for tires and tubes, battery some carb work then out the door fees. I feel ya on the whole paying too much but wicked cool bike. Lets see if I can post a pic of mine. This pic is the good side, other side has a nice golf ball size dent where the tank meets the seat. Oh and you can't see it but the clear coat on tank is damaged from age, gas whatever. At this point I probably have close to 7k into mine and definitely wont see that back I imagine unless these get super collectable. However that pic was from a few years ago I did a lot of replacing rubber parts, seals and gaskets, new crank, pistons and got a Vape Ignition, DG pipes and tools to do the job myself. It's endless and as of now in pieces and needing more sorting, lol. I did keep mine as a 250.

suey1958

I also have an endless project,... Same color as yours!,...Always loved those Graphics on white.

dgorms

I recently finished the mechanical resto on my DS7 barn find. It rips and rides excellent. Friends have told me to go all the way( paint, chrome, blah blah blah!) I'm leaving the cosmetics original, because they're only that way once...........................................D
rz,r5,ds7,srx,fzr400rr,vfr,cl77,s90, F-7,CL 77, CA-77,ad infinitum

idr5c

Quote from: dgorms on May 08, 2019, 12:11:58 AM
I recently finished the mechanical resto on my DS7 barn find. It rips and rides excellent. Friends have told me to go all the way( paint, chrome, blah blah blah!) I'm leaving the cosmetics original, because they're only that way once...........................................D

With you 100%, that DS7 looks great as-is!
Stephen Phillips
WMRRA #494
http://www.wmrra.com

SoCal250

Quote from: idr5c on May 08, 2019, 01:44:58 PM
Quote from: dgorms on May 08, 2019, 12:11:58 AM

With you 100%, that DS7 looks great as-is!

+1  I like the original color scheme. I vote for leaving its stock 70's-era glory
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Striker1423

This is more of what it looks like now. It's amazing how much time and energy I've put on this bike. If I can find the pictures I took of the bike when I first got it you will see the difference small things make.
http://imgur.com/gallery/SMcsgiB

Czakky

The best RD250 color scheme!

How do you like the JL Retros?

Striker1423

Quote from: Czakky on June 18, 2019, 02:29:30 PM
The best RD250 color scheme!

How do you like the JL Retros?

Hmm.. Well, I like them since I can quasi-keep the center stand on the bike. Still dialing it in, but it sounds awesome, come son the pipe at 7k and rips. It's no set of FMF's or Toomey's but I'm not a Brit so I cant compare it to Microns or any other classic bike pipe lol. It's all new to me.

RattlecanResto

My favorite RD color scheme! I have one socked away in crates for a someday resto