Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

paint codes

Started by motulman, August 05, 2020, 08:57:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motulman

i am sure somewhere around here or there  is the yamaha paint codes,spec, or paint number for the 74 rd 350a rubi red.  can someone here please point me in the right direction or provide info  thanks a million

rodneya

I did a search a while back, and it seems that the very expensive online motorcycle specific exact match paint places are not very good at matching.

I found this online and it looks interesting.
I was thinking of trying it on my spare set of tins that I have to freshen up my 74

motulman

thank you, i cant believe there isnt a number somewhere of exact match

SoCal250

Mark, 

Here is the OE color information. This won't be much help for a modern day painter, but Rodney's suggestion is probably the better way to go. I don't know of any current matches for Ruby Red.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

rodneya

A8 Ruby Red RD RD250/350 1974.
It is a multi layer paint with metallic silver, then candy, then clear.

You can get it from places like RD bike paint, but it is really expensive and from what I have read online it is not a great match

Hawaii-Mike

Quote from: rodneya on August 05, 2020, 11:32:32 PM
I did a search a while back, and it seems that the very expensive online motorcycle specific exact match paint places are not very good at matching.

I was thinking of trying it on my spare set of tins that I have to freshen up my 74
Here's a picture of my repainted side cover using the Mitsubishi paint color.  Painter did a base coat of silver and then painted coats of purple until the color matched.

rodneya

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on August 06, 2020, 07:52:11 PM
Quote from: rodneya on August 05, 2020, 11:32:32 PM

Here's a picture of my repainted side cover using the Mitsubishi paint color.  Painter did a base coat of silver and then painted coats of purple until the color matched.

D you have a pic of the repainted part alongside an original color part? plain silver basecoat or metallic?

motulman

thanks everyone for your input, now were getting somewhere  god bless