(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Atomic Toy

Started by RDFL, August 26, 2022, 11:39:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

Milan

pidjones

These days Gilbert's Erector Set is considered dangerous. Yes, you can get hurt. Seriously? Doubtful. Where do hands-on engineers get encouragement these days to enter the fields? I spent half of my play time for several years building and taking apart Erector Set projects (only child on a farm).
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

RDFL

I had a ton of erector stuff.

Milan

I took apart my dads lawn mower engines.

Did not have to cut the grass that week.

M

IR8D8R

Those sets are not dangerous at all. Be more harmful to eat the C batteries that came with it than to swallow all the radioactive materials in the set. Nobody ever was harmed by this.

I know a guy who took a lawn dart to the head back in the 70's. Those things were deadly. Especially when we tried to see how high we could throw them. I sharpened mine on my dad's grinder. They stuck in the fence much better that way.

IR8D8R

Clem710

I think I'll concur that if u think this should be number 1, youve never played lawn darts :whistle:

Hey little Johnny, how bout a puncture wound with a 3/8 diameter needle thats been stuck in the ground repeatedly :whoop:

I think I still have at least a partial set, will bring em to the Gap the next time I'm back early enough :busey:

Milan

RR BB Gun

" You'll Shoot Your Eye Out "

Clem710

BB gun wars were a regular thing for us especially once we got our hands on some fireworks so that we could have artillery.

There were quite a few "accidents" that moms decided required an ER visit.

No permanent injuries somehow, there certainly were no rules to prevent them and roman candles at close range aint no joke.

Now that we're thinkin, we had rock wars before we had bb guns and I remember someone getting it in the head with 1/2 a brick.  That was a nasty one but probably just a Tuesday afternoon for us.

Nuclear science was not something we we're concerned with it seems

IR8D8R

I knew a few guys who got their front teeth shot out with BB's. It makes a particular inverted V between the incisors.

We had a 1 pump limit rule for pellet guns using BB's. Not always followed.

Homemade fireworks. Flight Systems 'F' booster rocket engine makes a hell of a bottle rocket with a broomstick. Will lift an entire can worth of FFFFG black powder!

IR8D8R

Brad-Man

Our BB gun wars ended with the fist CO2 pistol used...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

1976RD400C

When I was a teen you could mail order the chemicals to make your own flash powder. Parents had no idea what was in the box that came in the mail.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350