Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Lost Spark on Left Cylinder

Started by BF519, October 02, 2019, 07:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BF519

Have 1976 Rd400. Lost spark on left bank while riding. The  bike has a CDI Ignition. Not sure what brand. Will try to post a picture.
Was riding Sunday. Everything was fine. Bike has been perfect. Monday was caught in a 3 minute rain show.  Went and put bike up.  Today problem occurred
  Checked coil with ohm meter. Checks out ok. Changed plug. Still no spark. Pulled Stator cover. Everything looks in place and dry. Checked fuses and all are good. Battery is good.
Please help. Want to take the bike to the Harvest Classic Vintage BikeFestival in LukenbachTexas  on October 18-19.

As Always thank you Bubba

BF519

Sorry can't figure out how to post pictures using my phone

paul1478

With iPhone email them to yourself
Select small or med size. Open and Save then.

They will post. Your format is too large
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

BF519

this is it

BF519

Orange wire has never been attached

2 Stroke Jamoke

Could be a bad pickup, you should swap the wires leading into the coils and see if the no spark follows. I had a magnet in the rotor portion on a hall effect fall out one time and killed one side of my xs650. Those pickups do fail, you can probably find the ohm value and check it that way to

m in sc

thats not a cdi, thats a points replacement. single dual lead coil? try swapping plug wires. if it doesn't move spark from cyl to the other, bad pickup or bad plug wire.

BF519

tried swapping wires  no luck. Seems to be a Martek Products inc unit. When it comes to electrical systems Im lost. Ground wires look good. All connections look good. HELP !!!! lol

Thanks , Bubba

m in sc

BF519

M, where can I find a pick up? Excuse my lack of knowledge I don't even know where they r located. So lost with the electrical side.

AAAltered

I just went through this with a different brand unit.

http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=839.0

The pickups are those two black things -they sense the engine rotation for the spark - one for each cylinder.   I was able to swap mine around to prove it was a pickup, the 'no spark' issue I had moved with the pickup.  In order to do this, you *must* be able to set the timing, it will change as soon as you remove a pickup. 

Once I proved it was a pickup, I bought a new unit for a different bike (with near certainty it was the same...) and then grafted the new pickup onto my iggy.  Soldering capability is also a must.

Good luck, it's your opportunity to learn your ignition and conquer fear of things electrical.

Ed

1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

m in sc

for a martek? not sure, but id look on the uk aircooled owners club group on FB. if not, might want to consider a dyna from nick. not cheap but really good.

BF519

Thanks for the help. Could not find any parts for the Martek. I ordered a CDI kit from Economy.
Thanks, Bubba

quocle603

dyna s kits are easy to plug and play. Just need to follow the instructions to a T
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC