(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

tires for my rz

Started by yaman, September 16, 2019, 09:07:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yaman

hey all, just got an rz again, been like 10 years  :whoop:
looking for suggested sizes for my RZ with stock wheels
also suggestions on types are welcome too, previously i believe i preferred the BT 45 to the Roadrider
thank you

motodreams

Stock size in the BT45 or the roadrunner are the standard.  Run standard size or one width up if you feel the need.  You pretty much answered your question.  I think you can stretch some of those sticky radials on there which are the best option available but some more cash.  Nothing has changed other than the radials being available now...

Kawtriplefreak

I run the Avons on mine and love them. I was a BT45 man for years. The Avons are stickier and smoother to me.

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Tuck

Avon's here as well. Thanks for reminding me, I need to order up a set!

motodreams

The Avons and BT may as well be the same tire.  Zero point arguing as it is ENTIRELY personal preference between those 2.  The Conti radials are a game changer but definitely a bit more expensive too.

m in sc

yup. ive run both as well, like them both, but the avons seem to be a bit better for sure. hell, i have am26's on my big heavy tourer and they work fantastic, even on that big heavy pig.

dont run pirelli sport demons on an rd, ive had two front end washouts with one, (first 2 crashes in 27 years of riding) they are not suited to lighter bikes IMHO.

motodreams

And my personal preference between the 2 would be the BT45 which are used in mini race series.  Again, they are so close there are pages and pages of personal 'opinions' on the 2 tires.  When it comes down to it they are effectively interchangeable.

Your tire options are:
-BT45 or Avons in stock or one size over.
-Conti radials

The Contis are supposed to make a massive improvement in handling but are more expensive.

I would stick with stock sizes personally.

m in sc

agreed, they are. also agree on the stock sizes.

Nathan rants and raves about the radials, i'll try them next go around.

pdxjim

I for sure wanted the Contis for my LC build but settled for the 'Stones coz they're half the price
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

motodreams

Yes, the vintage guys I would actually listen to an opinion from really like the radials.  Apparently it removes the tendency of the tires to follow uneven bits in the pavement which can be unsettling while cornering.

m in sc

In 27 years of riding rds and other vintage bikes, running primarily BT45s and avons, Ive actually never experienced that with either of those as long as the tire pressure is correct, which a lot of people don't bother to actually set correctly for their riding style.

Cost is def not an issue, just never found the need for them personally. 

The sidewalls on radials actually flex more than they do on radials, believe it or not, which will allow them to deform more, which is really good for very aggressive riding allowing a bit more contact patch due to this deformation in a full lean. Conversely, by-plys actually hold the heat longer in the tire vs radials. 

its really more of a 'how are you going to use it' issue, not 'whats better or not over-all' in general terms.  so, it just depends how the OP will be using the bike.   

Kawtriplefreak

I have never had the wandering described either.

~JM~

I usually buy the Avon RR tires. I had the BT45 on a Honda VT500FT & they worked well. They looked like they might be slightly smaller in profile as compared to Avons of the same size.

The Continentals look good. I've heard that they are heavy though. Have not been able to verify any weight differential.

I have a set of Continental sport tires on my Buick Regal. They are the best tires I've experienced of that type of tire.

m in sc

nathan told me that as well, that the radials were heavy by comparison.