Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Namura Pistons

Started by automan, January 05, 2023, 09:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

automan

I heard they were junk, they are great...

What's the real story?

Not a cast vs. forged discussion, just Namura.

thanx

cliff

m in sc

i had one fail out of the box years ago. nope.

theres so many options these days, no point in using them. .02

rodneya

You could buy a set on ebay a few years ago for $14. That should tell you all you need to know about the quality

Vintagetz

I heard you could read the Budwiser label on some of them....  :stupid-1:

automan

Not much info here.
:umm:
cliff

Vintagetz

The reputation of the Namura brand is they are weak and poor quality.  Quite a few years ago I remember reports of the skirts failing.  I have had great service out of the  Vertex brand in my race bike.  I have never had one failure in spite of the abuse

jradnich

I did a search on them and there is a lot of talk about them on Thumpertalk. Mostly positive, so I bought one for my DT125. But, on advise from members here, I never used it. It still sits on my shop bench. When it comes down to it, I trust the advice of people on this forum. If you're looking for inexpensive pistons, I used Cruzinimage pistons in my RD400 with no problems with a couple of thousand miles on them.

m in sc

agreed in the cruzin image pistons. have them in my t500, zero issues for the past.. 5? years.

Striker1423

Cruzinimage pistons will be going into my GT750.

automan

:clap:
Finally some feedback other the beer cans.

Do you know the cans are of the best and purist aluminum?

How else can they extrude a 5/1 profile?

Spices in the mix makes the alloy's, boys.

cliff

Vintagetz

Virtually all Aluminum is "best and purest"  based on the application.  One of the issues with Namura RD pistons is the skirt and window profile. 

m in sc

mine was a casting flaw. I have a picture somewhere but you can see the inclusion where it broke. oddly they seem to be (more?) popular with the banshee guys.

Evans Ward

A few years back, I used a Namura piston/ rings in one of the Polaris Trailblazer 250 2 Stroke ATVs we owned. That TB250 was beat on and the engine ran great. It wasn't my choice of piston but was able to purchase it at a great price which mattered as we owned 5 different ATVs then. (3 TB 250's, a Polaris Scrambler 400, and a Banshee 350) Personally, I wouldn't put one in one of my bikes though..
1984 Yamaha RZ350
1976 Suzuki GT750
1972 Kawasaki H2 750 Mach IV

automan

Same news. Good/Bad.

Getting nowhere.

If bad, why and how?

cliff

m in sc

shitty casting in my experience and hit and miss quality control.  what info are you exactly looking for?