Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

I'm really confused about this HPI rec/regulator

Started by rd400canuck, December 26, 2019, 09:16:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Guys I'm getting confused with this r/r it was suggested I order.

I saw in the comment section in treatland it's only a half wave rectifier and therefore you end up with half the power.

If this is true why is anyone suggesting or buying this when they have a fullwave r/r for $10 less?

Help me understand lol

turtle

m in sc

half wave does not = half the power.  The deal is, the stock HPI unit puts out 1 wire ac, you can not get full wave rectifier to work on that you need at least 2 legs for that.  Hence the conversation about 'floating the ground' on the hpi unit, which is ungrounding the other leg of the unit, and running both legs thru the 2 wire rectifier.

For example, old kawasaki and other singles used to run 1 wire ac from the lighting coil to the headlight, the other one would run to a single diode rectifier , that would be used to charge the battery and run the tail light, etc.

this is a half wave rectifier in use to operate a dc circuit.

the more legs of the ac unit you have to the rectifier/regulator = more amperage supplied and a steadier current on a dc circuit, that's why most modern units have 3 ac legs to a rectifier.

So, for most rds, the single wire half wave will supply enough juice on an rd to keep the lights and battery happy, just. 

as an example of a modern bike using an single ac leg to charge a battery, the grom i have stock used 1  wire out ac to a half wave rectifier, which charges a battery, runs a fuel pump and a fuel injection unit. It actually pulled off that initial ac lead to power just the headlight as well, a halogen. so, its fine to use, just don't plan on running any heated gear on it..

:twocents:

rd400canuck

I have so much to learn. Please bear with me.

So... with a half wave rectifier and both wires connected to it won't we only be getting the top part of the wave while the bottom part is wasted? I have been trying to learn about these things online and every place I go to says one half of the wave is wasted.

If this is the case wont that mean we are only going to get half the power available if each end of the coil is wired to the r/r?

m in sc

sort of but not really. with one leg grounded, resulting in the hpi one wire, the pulses are stronger (the pulse peaks are taller) but not as frequent. so you get more amperage but not the same peak voltage ad both legs going to a rectifier, which really doesnt matter as long as its over 12v loaded. ;)

rd400canuck

ok I still only sort of understand... another reason I am confused is why run the halfwave when this fullwave costs $10 less?

https://www.treatland.tv/trail-tech-DC-voltage-regulator-rectifier-150w-p/trail-tech-reg-rec-7004-rr150.htm

Edit...

I think I understand now.

Each part of the wave form is an opportunity to make power if the load requires it. When the engine is spinning there is more than enough positive waves created to supply power needed. So not using the lower half of the wave isnt wasted power... its like wasted opportunities to make power but, since there are so many waves produced, there are more than enough upper waves to supply the power needed and using a half wave rectifier is more than enough.

Am I getting it now? (my brain is fried)

Either way... Im still curious why not use the full wave r/r especially since it's cheaper?

quocle603

Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC