Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Tips on rubber mounting chambers

Started by D.e.e., May 11, 2019, 04:48:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D.e.e.

Now that I  have broken my exhaust hanger by solid mounting it, does someone have a source or ideas how to mount them best. I hate being down for something stupid like this. Thanks

Seizer

I went to ACE hardware and bought some rubber grommets and rubber washers. Seems to be working out.

dugsgms

Don't know if it will work for you but on my Spec2's I reused the factory bushings, nuts and spacers off the original mufflers. Probably have a couple thousand miles on it since install and no problems yet.
1970 BSA Lightning
1975 Yamaha RD350
1975 Honda CB400f
2008 Yamaha WR250R

Yamaha 179

For many years I have used Yamaha dirt bike exhaust mounting brackets.  The part number I have is 1H3-14791-00-00 but that is suspect and the local shop is closed on Mondays and I can't confirm the number.  It is a two piece steel tap sandwiching a small, firm rubber block.  One side of the tab points up, the other down.  (I'd post a picture but I am technologically challenged.)  If your local parts guy is friendly get him to look at a late '70s or early '80s enduro or MX exhaust system and check the pipe hangers.  If you can't find one get back to me and I'll check my shop tomorrow.  I've used these things on our road racers for years and never broken one.
Lyn Garland

D.e.e.

Thanks Lyn, I'll check this weekend as our local is an hour away. That number is discontinued.
Dane

m in sc

turtle

i use leather washers on a lot of my bobber and chopper builds. they seem to do the trick to keep things from cracking. I also use them on my RD.

sav0r

Rubber isolators like Lyn and m in sc posted about are fantastic right up until the rubber shears from the bolt. This might not sound like an endorsement but it is. They really can't be beat, you just have to understand that they are a consumable.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

Tuck

Quote from: Seizer on May 11, 2019, 08:22:33 PM
I went to ACE hardware and bought some rubber grommets and rubber washers. Seems to be working out.

That's exactly what I did. Bought a baggy full just to have around.

teazer

Honda CR motocrosser exhaust mounts on our TZs and some of our custom CB160 exhausts too.  Cheap and aluminum and rubber. Can't remember the part number but I'm sure I have spares in the shop I could check if you need a reference. 

They are close to identical to old model TZs but cheaper, lighter and more available  :whistle:

D.e.e.

Teazer a reference number would be great. Thanks

teazer

Try 18355-KS6-000

Or if you want to put a rubber doughnut and use a steel center spacer us 18334-KA3-830