News:

Neat little oddball bike, zero info.

Main Menu

RD400 Rear Axle Nut

Started by forexer, December 09, 2021, 07:46:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RDFL

As for thickness I have some loose ones somewhere will have to look, wouldn't think could be much if any difference but if is could explain your problem.

forexer

Perhaps you're right the bigger hole adjuster maybe allowing just enough slop where the axle becomes crooked when torqued. I guess the only way to know for sure would be to buy another adjuster - one with a small hole for the left side and see if it makes a difference.

Please let me know what you find out when measuring the thicknesses and thanks again for your input  :thumbs:

RDFL

1976RD400C

If you have an adjuster with a big hole where the small hole one should be how do you make sure the wheel alignment is correct because the marks on the adjuster and swing arm will be off?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Striker1423

You don't. Swap the adjuster to the correct one as it will allow the axle to travel around. No bueno.

But, a simple way to do a chain adjustment is to measure the length of the bolts once you get chain slack set. Of the bolts are even on the ends and the chain is straight to the eye, tighten it down and double check. So long as the adjuster bolt thread count or length matches you're good.

Jspooner

I measure from the center of the swing arm pivot bolt to the center of the rear axle when I adjust my chain.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

forexer

I've always adjusted the chain the same way STRIKER suggested however, I use a Vernier caliper to measure with and as long as each side is within .030 it's good to go

"A simple way to do a chain adjustment is to measure the length of the bolts once you get chain slack set. If the bolts are even on the ends and the chain is straight to the eye, tighten it down and double check. So long as the adjuster bolt thread count or length matches you're good"

measuring from the swing arm is also a good option however I found that I lose some accuracy trying to measure over that much distance - It's hard to keep the tape measure at the exact same angle on both sides.

What matters is - in the end is that both sides are even as possible

forexer

Quote from: 1976RD400C on December 15, 2021, 07:12:49 AM
If you have an adjuster with a big hole where the small hole one should be how do you make sure the wheel alignment is correct because the marks on the adjuster and swing arm will be off?

I found out that the ones on this bike are aftermarket adjusters and therefore do NOT have "any marks on the adjuster" like the OEM ones have and whoever installed them installed 2 big hole adjusters instead of one small and one large.

to answer your question - you make sure the wheel alignment is correct by measuring both sides

SoCal250

Quote from: Jspooner on December 16, 2021, 12:23:06 AM
I measure from the center of the swing arm pivot bolt to the center of the rear axle when I adjust my chain.
+1  :thumbs:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)