Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Countershaft seal and etc..

Started by MRDRcycle, June 17, 2020, 01:16:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MRDRcycle

Does anyone know the size of the nut for the countershaft sprocket? I'm going to buy a socket for it. The is for a 73 RD 350.

Also, anyone have a good option for a seal puller? I've looked at a few types/methods and any insight would be great.

I'm guessing I should also lube all the new seals with multi purpose grease?

Thanks!

Yamaha 179

I use a 1 1/4 inch SAE socket to remove the countershsaft nut.  Been doing that since I bought my first RD 350 and never found the need to buy a metric equivalent.  I use an air impact for removal but NEVER use it to reinstall the nut after I stripped the output shaft once a hundred years ago.  Just do it by hand with a good size ratchet or breaker bar.  Yes, lubricate the inner diameter portion of the seal with a light grease.
Lyn Garland

m in sc

i do the exact same thing, but i think its a 32

when you pull the sprocket, pull the spacer on the shaft behind it and just pry the seal out. no special tool needed. big dull flatblade screwdriver will do it.

MRDRcycle

Awesome! Thanks again.

I went for a longer ride than usual a few days ago and trans oil blew all over my rear tire. It was pretty sketchy and The fluid is coming from the area around the sprocket.  I bought all of the seals and etc from economy so I'm thinking I'll replace most if not all of them.

m in sc

if that nut isnt tight, it can and will leak thru that spacer to the sprocket isnt right up on it. just fyi.

MRDRcycle

Ah. I'm looking at it now and the nut isn't tight at all. IF that locking washer wasn't in place, I could twist it off easily with my fingers.

m in sc

TIGHTEN IT UP. might be all there is to it.  :twocents: :wave:

MRDRcycle

Thanks for the heads up! Is the torque range on that 50-60 ft-lbs? I'm looking in my "manual" and it says 50-60 for a 30mm nut. 32 isn't listed on their chart.

m in sc

its actually by thread size.

60 ft/lbs should do it.

SUPERTUNE

I go on the conservative side at 50 ft-lbs, these are old bikes and who know what was done before with over tightening like Lyn said.
Once the seal is out, I spray out with brake clean and glue in the spacer with motoseal against the inner bearing race to prevent seepage through the spacer.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

m in sc

looks like max setting is 58 ft lbs.(actually looked it up) id def follow chucks advice here.  :twocents:

MRDRcycle

Will do! Thanks again and much appreciated!

Do I need to drain the transmission fluid out before replacing the seal. I'm guessing I would if I were to replace the shift shaft seal and neutral switch as well.

m in sc

not really as the n switch is an o-ring. id still put a pan under to catch drips.

85RZwade

Lean 'er over to the right and the oil will stay put
I post waayyy too much