Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

RD400 Tubeless Tires??

Started by 95bravo, December 29, 2019, 03:08:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

95bravo

Can I run the BT45s without tubes on a stock 1976 RD400 wheel?  They are tubeless tires, but will they work on stock RD wheels without tubes?  If "yes" then why use tubes - any added benefit? 

I apologize for the simplicity of this question.  I promise I searched the old posts.  I looked at old posts and saw Chuck's recent post with a link to Amazon for tubes to run on the RDs.  I am confused because HVC and Economy Cycle sell tires without tubes, etc.

Thanks in advance.
Knowledge of many things is the sword unseen

85RZwade

I think it's going to come down to the wheels themselves, such as: can you install a valve stem successfully? I've never heard of a performance advantage to inner tubes. Just a necessary evil where dictated by wheel design.
Wade
I post waayyy too much

2 Stroke Jamoke

You are not supposed to run tubeless unless the rim says "suitable for tubeless tires" on it. That being said I run tubless on my rd400. I have a suitable rim on the front (xs400) but the rear is stock and I run it tubeless. No problems to speak of through 2500 miles and 2 tires. You can source the valve stem easily, look for scooter valve stems.

1976RD400C

Where the bead seats to the rim is different between tube type and tubeless rims. Why not just put a tube in the BT45's?
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

95bravo

Knowledge of many things is the sword unseen