Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Clutch question

Started by jetta90, January 18, 2021, 12:57:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jetta90

I've been reading up on the DS7/R5/RD250/RD350 clutch differences.  The write up by SUPERTUNE is fantastic - thank you for all the work and effort on this.

I have a 73 RD250 project that is turning out to be a mix and match affair when it comes to the clutch assembly.  I seem to have the correct later style clutch hub, metal plates, fiber plates, thrust washers, to be able to install the later 7 fiber plate clutch but I do not have a later pressure plate....I have the early clutch plate available only.

Would the clutch work with the old style pressure plate on the newer style clutch hub with the 7 plate set up?

rded

I have this same question. It seems that the older style p p needs the steel as the last plate to help support the non reinforced p p. I replaced the clutch plates on my R5 and ended up having a friction against the pressure plate. It seems to work fine. I am concerned about the p p failing.

There are thinner steels 1.1mm vs the stock 1.5mm that should allow the spacing to add the final steel plate. My kit from Yambits had 7 friction and 7 steel. but the steels are the 1.5mm.

m in sc

i wouldn't nec recommend using the older 'not splined' pressure plate, but you can. ive done it.  however, be aware you will need a steel under that 1st which may make the stack height tricky. thinner steels will allow you to def stack more in there.   :twocents:

rded

Do you know where the thinner steels are available?

m in sc

rded

rded

OK, so I opened up the RH cover again and removed the pressure plate that I had the friction against. I was able to use one of my old steels and it stacked in there. Adjusted the clutch and all good now. So I have the thicker steel on first against the spider gear inner hub and alternating friction steel and ended with the steel.  :righteous:

m in sc

there you go. ive done that myself.  :olaf:

SoCal250

There is a Yamaha Tech Bulletin with info pertinent to this. See number 312 (attached).
Also I have posted quite a bit of clutch info in the Tech Library, including different steels and their thickness.
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)