Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

TDR Reeds Not Sealing

Started by Striker1423, March 15, 2021, 03:37:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

Just as the title states, I have a visible gap with the TDR reeds I picked up on my Rd350 modified reed cages. I understand that reeds don't close all the way when running, but I also hear if they seal good they lend to easier starting. I have tried sanding down the reed block a bit to see if it helps, but I'm gaining little traction and don't want to mess it up. I still have the stock metal reeds and if needs be I'll just run those.

Anyone have any tips?

rodneya

Striker1423

Quote from: rodneya on March 16, 2021, 11:44:49 AM
Can you flip them over?

They are flat. I'
m gonna try and flex them a bit and see.

m in sc

dont.

clean the reedcage and suck on the carb side, they will seal shut quick. if that works, they are good. this is a common occurrence.

also make sure the screws arent too tight. use blue loctite and just seat them. they are what? m4? M3? I mean, an m6 is 6-7 ft lbs. those are probably supposed to be 3 or 4. things to consider.

2t Fan

Quote from: Striker1423 on March 15, 2021, 03:37:04 PM
Just as the title states, I have a visible gap with the TDR reeds I picked up on my Rd350 modified reed cages. I understand that reeds don't close all the way when running, but I also hear if they seal good they lend to easier starting. I have tried sanding down the reed block a bit to see if it helps, but I'm gaining little traction and don't want to mess it up. I still have the stock metal reeds and if needs be I'll just run those.

Anyone have any tips?

I have noticed the same with Boyesens, tried the same route but not much change. So fixed as it is

Striker1423

I just snugged the screws up. I can try just seating he screws until the split washer just collapses and regoop so loctite on them.

Just nervous about losing a screw into the motor.   

m in sc

soonerbillz

The reeds on my CR were having problems sealing. A buddy of mine in Sweden made me some carbon fiber ones and it worked beautifully.
When I build up my RD250 I'll have him make some for that motor.

85RZwade

I wish I had a Swedish buddy who made carbon fiber reeds...
I post waayyy too much

soonerbillz

Quote from: 85RZwade on March 17, 2021, 11:54:54 PM
I wish I had a Swedish buddy who made carbon fiber reeds...

Well I'm sure there others in the USA doing the same.. we just ended up both needing them.