This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

stiff shifter return spring

Started by rd400canuck, May 04, 2020, 12:59:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Hey guys,

Just wondering if anyone has another option for the shifter return spring? On my bike it is needlessly strong. It is actually starting to hurt the top of my foot/toes while bombing around from light to light.

Are all RD400c's like this or has someone put a different one in my bike during its lifetime? Weird thing to complain about but gawd damn its a strong spring.

Dvsrd

With a stock gear lever most RDs have quite soft shifting action IMHO.
But with rearsets it may become a different story, due to poor designs and leverage ratio.
If you find the shifting action too stiff with a stock shifter, my best advice is to use proper riding boots with reinforcement for the shifter area,
Converse and similar is a poor choice.....

rd400canuck

hmmm not im wondering if the shift lever on my bike is shorter.

Anyone can measure length from from center to tip Id really appreciate it.

Dvsrd

Went to measure my 350, before remembering I have rearsets on it.......
Pretty sure the 350 gear lever is 170 to 180 mm long center to center. The toe peg sits outboard of the round alternator/points cover. The 400C is very similar to the 350 as far as I know, regarding footpegs and controls. The Daytona is different.

rd400canuck

is this the one?  The one on my bike is flat and doesnt extend to the bottom of the magneto cover it stops around 4:30 - 5 o'clock on it

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NOS-Yamaha-OEM-Shifter-Shift-Pedal-76-78-RD400-1A1-18111-00-93-XS400-XS360/174262952044?hash=item2892e1a06c:g:mZkAAOSwLllepjGP&vxp=mtr

Dvsrd

Well, the shifter on my 350 doesn't look like that. It is more like a flat oval in cross section.
And has no weld at the toe peg either. Looks like a one piece forged part.

Anyway, it is the length of the shifter that matters in this case, not other features.
Do you have stock footpegs and footpeg location? How long is your shifter?
And what footwear do you ride in?

1976RD400C

This is a replaca. It should be solid and a oval shaped shaft.

SANY2322" border="0
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

rd400canuck

Thanks guys and thanks 1976RD400C for doing that and taking a pic.

Seems like I have the correct one. I think my problem is im so used to my slick shifting CBR that this bikes feel stiff as hell. Another thing I figured out today was the throw is short... I think I was pushing too hard with my foot trying to make the lever travel like my honda. I went for a ride and chilled out and sure enough it's not seeming so bad as I thought.

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: rd400canuck on May 05, 2020, 08:18:12 PM
Thanks guys and thanks 1976RD400C for doing that and taking a pic.

Seems like I have the correct one. I think my problem is im so used to my slick shifting CBR that this bikes feel stiff as hell. Another thing I figured out today was the throw is short... I think I was pushing too hard with my foot trying to make the lever travel like my honda. I went for a ride and chilled out and sure enough it's not seeming so bad as I thought.

That shift lever you have is about 1/2" short than a stock one.

RD400's are round shaft not flat like your 'REPLACEMENT' one.
Daytona is shorter but also had different shift shaft and prawl to change the internal ratio.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

rd400canuck

ah ok... was hard to tell for me. A little extra length would add some more throw to it. It seems like there is so little movement to elect the next gear that sometimes i can't be sure it went into gear and I get false neutrals.

I'll hit fleabay and try to find one.

Dvsrd

The ideal shifter length also depends on foot/boot size.  8 vs 12 makes a huge difference.
I would modify the one you already have, to get it as good as possible for just your foot.
Also, how is the side cover hole? Sloppy/worn or reasonably tight? Have you greased/lubed it?