Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

picked up a new winter toy. 2001 MXZ 700

Started by rd400canuck, January 31, 2021, 12:51:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rd400canuck

Picked up a 2001 MXZ 700 in very decent shape. Just need to replace the clutch with a used one from fleabay and it's good to go. Motor is STRONG which was really my main concern. Thankfully, with all my experience with our RD's and RZ builds over the years, I wasnt blind going in and knew what things to look for.

It's a 121" inch short track with less than an inch lug on it and a wide ski stance... it's made for hard pack trails and it shines on them... but I like to go off trail every chance I get so the plan is rail extender to 136" for more floatation in deep snow and a 1.75 paddle track 'Backcountry' that should make this thing miles more capable in the powder. I'm also going to shorten the radius arms and steering rods and bring the skis inwards 2" a side and will add a 6 or 8 inch bar raiser which will allow me to rock the sled from side to side easier.. very useful in the fluffy stuff. I'm also removing that seat and putting on a smaller lighter one from a Polaris.

Once all done I will have a very competent sled off trails for 1/4 of a new sled of the same type and power.

m in sc

sleds would be the only thing i would ever consider as a plus (have zero sled experience) living in a snowy environment again.  thats very cool indeed.  :cheerleader:

rd400canuck

Its funny how it changed my outlook... normally I dread winters and can't wait for them to end.... then I buy a sled and now I'm ok with them!

I was just out on it... they are frighteningly fast. I think it has 130hp and weights 450lbs. On the hard pack it just pulls and pulls so hard it's a little unnerving how quickly the speed comes on. I'll be more at home when I'm in the deep snow trying to boondock. I prefer the technical type of riding. I had an 800 Polaris before and it didnt feel as aggressive as this thing does.

Here's the big twin... for a 20 year old sled it's pretty clean.

Czakky

They are kind of the zenith of two stroke tech. these days.
Retarded fast!

Striker1423

Reminds me of mine.

She's a 98 670, so the precursor to the 700, but I extended her to 136", swapped suspensions to a standard sc-10 (from the stock ARM crap) and put a 1.25" ripjaws 2 pre-studded track on her.
Pushes in the corners a bit, but adjusting the suspension is a pain in the dingus, so a bit more butt-dragging body-english gets her to turn in the trail-twisty's.