This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

GT750 Brake Bleed issue

Started by Striker1423, October 05, 2022, 10:04:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

So, I spooned the new tires on. Check.
Rebuilt the front forks with new fork tubes. Check.
New chain and sprockets. Check.
New rear grab handle and center stand. Check Check.

Brakes feel spongy and ones dragging. Ok, let's try flushing it. First bleeder on right side loosened, pulls fluid through vacuum bleeder just fine. Check.

Left caliper. Loosen bleeder, attach hose and vacuum bleed away... nothing. Weird. Pull bleeder all the way out. Still nothing. Squeeze brake lever. Still nothing out of bleeder. Both calipers working... Right side moves slower. Also doesn't release well. So, master relief hole? Or something inside the caliper?

Any ideas?

pidjones

Sounds like the whole system needs removed, flushed, rebuilt. For some people, brakes are important.
I had one rescue with a side not responding. Turns out a PO had replaced the caliper banjo bolt with a solid bolt! At least there was nk leakage on that side.
"Love 'em all.... Let GOD sort 'em out!"

rodneya

Dragging brakes may be the relief hole or crap in the piston, but the other things sound like dirt and old gelled fluid.

msr

Quote from: pidjones on October 06, 2022, 06:24:52 AM
Sounds like the whole system needs removed, flushed, rebuilt. For some people, brakes are important.
I had one rescue with a side not responding. Turns out a PO had replaced the caliper banjo bolt with a solid bolt! At least there was nk leakage on that side.

The only thing that could have made that solid bolt a better story is if it were an SAE bolt.  :omg:

pidjones

Nope, metric fine - and even had the copper washer!

m in sc

Striker1423

Going with crap in the caliper. New brake lines were already on order. Running out of decently warm weather. Rode the RD into work two days ago and about froze my legs off. It was 37 degree's out (F).I actually wore my  BRP BV2S helmet so I wasn't cold lol. For perspective, I once rode snowmobile in the UP in 37 degree weather (in the rain... sucked, do not recommend).

Striker1423

Brakes coming along. Massive explosion from compressed air and WD-40 mix in the caliper to get piston out made me jump. Pistons and seals on order too. Looks like my fall riding won't be happening unless I start wearing multiple layers lol.

2steve

When doing the RD brakes, I found out that ear plugs and safety glasses are good thing - plus something to dampen projectile pistons.

pidjones

That's why I use the grease gun method. They have to be thoroughly cleaned anyway, so after the pistons come out and the majority of the grease is scooped out with a paper towel, it all goes in kerosene (and an old tooth brush) to remove the remaining grease. Much less exciting, though.

Striker1423

After almost destroying one of the new brake lines... (Didn't seat right when assembling), I got the brakes bled. What a huge pain in the dingus. Brake fluid all over the floor after leaking like crazy. Brake caliper woes.

I found the bleeder was broken off in one side. So after drilling it out like a gorilla, I managed to drill too deep and had to "remake" a bleeder seat by running to O'Reilly's and buying a bleeder repair kit. The bleeder repair kit wouldn't fit in the narrow bleeder portion of the caliper. So, I actually just used the bleeder from the kit and tapped the hole again. I seated it with some force and it didn't leak.

But, I now have functioning brakes!

Off to Ann Arbor for a baby shower for the day. Here's hoping the weather stays at 70 just long enough to take the damn thing out for an official ride. 

Striker1423

Riders report!

130 miles in and she seems to run pretty well. Left and right pipes seem clean. Center pipes still have decent amounts of spooge. The left plug looked a nice light brown with minimal carbon. The right plug looked a bit darker and was just a bit wetter in appearance. Center plug looks OK as well. Right exhaust leaks oil all over the cylinder and my pants, so it needs the new gasket treatment as well. At this point, might as well do both it and the center one. The bike uses sufficient oil from what I can tell. Roughly 1.5 tanks of gas in and about half the oil tank is gone.

For a few nice days of riding before the crappy weather hits again, I'll take it! Such a smooth ride compared to the RD... relatively speaking.

EDIT:
Plugs in picture are in order from rider facing forward: Left (starter side), Center, Right (Clutch side).