Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

T500 fork servie w 10w30

Started by m in sc, July 10, 2022, 08:13:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

Just a note about this. the 1st gen t500 forks are just dismal antiques, external springs, steel lowers, etc. I mean they work.. but barely.

anyway, Ive needed to replace the o-ring in the retainer for a bit, finally got around to it a few days ago. I was running like 30 wt maxima fork oil in there, and they were 'ok' but since there's no valve, just a single big hoe in the bottom for damping, i was wondering what to replace it with.

Manual states atf, 'proper weight fork oil' or 10-w30. No, the fork seals aren't old, but the o-rings needed to be replaced, so apart they came.

I decided to use a high zinc motor oil (have some for the galaxie) vr1 10w30. I'll be damned if it didn't make a notable improvement.

the oil level was super low, maybe half an oz? and the oil was clean, about 3 yrs old.  so, point being, if you have some stick and twig external spring forks, try some motor oil in there if you aren't happy w anything else.
:twocents:

if you were wondering 'what o ring?' its #11 in the diagram.  the top screws off the fork and that's what retains the lower.

Clem710

When ya got nothing to lose, anything might be better:)

Funny that the manual did actually have a good recommendation, atf(5?) or 10 wt sounds pretty light for old stuff and I'd certainly head for the syrup for older setups.  Maybe that stinky fish oil isnt so bad after all.

m in sc

QuoteWhen ya got nothing to lose, anything might be better:)

exactly how i looked at it. lol.

irk_miller

I've always wondered what a high VG hydraulic oil would do in a piston fork.  An SAE 30w motor oil is the same viscosity as an ISO VG 100 hydraulic oil.