News:

Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

My "ideal" RD350/400 expansion chamber appearance.

Started by Dvsrd, October 26, 2022, 08:02:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

I currently have one set of 80s vintage Allspeeds, and a still unused det of Higgspeed (which appear to be more or less a simplified SS copy of the Allspeeds.
I am really not too happy with either, they hang a bit too low for my taste (too much air between chambers and engine).
The Spec 2 classics are the closest to my ideal with regards to looks, but I would really like SS pipes, a bit larger diameter silencer section (like in the attached pic of the Suzuki). And also an internal stinger like the Allspeeds have.
And the general appearance of the Kawasaki Dencos in the second attached picture.
Some may think that the JL Classics would be what I want, but I think they just look awkward.
Is there anyone out there that makes something like what I described?

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

m in sc

specII race pipes sit higher, if oyu ask gary, because they are designed to be used with rear-sets, not the stock pegs. triples of course don't have the footpeg loop so, therein lies the difference. .02

Dvsrd

Quote from: m in sc on October 26, 2022, 10:12:50 AM
specII race pipes sit higher, if oyu ask gary, because they are designed to be used with rear-sets, not the stock pegs. triples of course don't have the footpeg loop so, therein lies the difference. .02
Rearsets are pretty much a must for any RD, I think. Even the "low hanging" Allspeeds require rearsets. The only current chambers, to my knowledge, that fit stock pegs are the awkward looking JL Classics.
I also have a rusty pair of chromed J&R pipes, but no headpipes for them. No plan for those at the moment.

From what I have read about talking to Gary, it may not be a good idea to ask him to build a set to my requirements.....    😆

m in sc

gary is fine.  Just tell him what you want in a short professional manner and he'll respond well. let him talk. 2 weeks = 4. etc.

lomas, specII, dg, moto-carerra, all are designed to clear stock peg mounts. not center-stands, but stock footpeg mounts, yes.

Dvsrd

Ok, thanks! Just a final question: Do the Spec 2 pipes have any stinger pipe at all, or is the perforated baffle tube more or less directly connected to tbe baffle cone end?
I mean, the JL and Milennium pipes have a visible stinger, my old allspeeds have an internal stinger around 200 mm long. While even the GP style Spec2 have any visible stinger section.

m in sc

the f1s do.

mine on the lightweight. 1: not race spec, 2: i dotn have a lower frame rail and 3: i angled the ends up/in a bit after i got them.

same exact pipes on the 350 framed hybrid years ago:

Striker1423

I think they look fine haha. Awkward or not. Besides, I'm awkward so it suits me!

Dvsrd

Quote from: Striker1423 on October 26, 2022, 03:32:35 PM
I think they look fine haha. Awkward or not. Besides, I'm awkward so it suits me!

No offense intended!  If you like them, just enjoy and ride the snot out of that RD 😁

Striker1423

Quote from: Dvsrd on October 26, 2022, 04:07:23 PM
Quote from: Striker1423 on October 26, 2022, 03:32:35 PM

No offense intended!  If you like them, just enjoy and ride the snot out of that RD 😁
none taken!  :olaf: