This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Low Power

Started by paul1478, August 23, 2022, 10:12:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m in sc

how do the plugs look on a chop?

mechanically, if everything looks good, and checks out, it seems like it may have been tuned for a bike with other issues that were caught later. 

are you 100% sure the timing is spot on?

paul1478

Right plug is tan. Left is darker but still tan (left was the ripped manifold and lower compression)

Chuck was the one who set and re-checked the timing at the gap this year. said it could use a little more but it was right.

Chuck did change mains lower 2 times, air jets were changed larger and smaller. We did smaller mains on the left side. nothing made much of a noticeable difference and none added power.  He worked on the jetting about 2-3 hrs total.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

m in sc

hm.

you have a cdi, correct? id still verify it didnt move. (since may)

teazer

If you have a CDI, you might want to check the timing again at higher revs.  Use a timing light and see if it advances or retards the way it is supposed to do. It is unlikely but possible that something failed internally allowing the timing to stay static or to change in some way.

Dvsrd

Maybe a stupid question/ suggestion, but do your carbs open 100%  by that I mean that the engine side of the slide clears the carb bore completely. Just looking at the air filter side will not confirm this.
If the throttle grip or the throttle cable splitter has been replaced, or even the cables themselves, this could create issues. Or maybe there is a difference between high top and low top slides, etc?
And what about carbon deposits in pipes/ stinger/ baffles? That sure kills power.....

Brad-Man

When I sync carbs I first stick my fingers in the carbs and make sure that both slides hit the top of the bore at the same time, then that they hit the bottom at the same time - usually using toothpicks for the latter...
Toys don't make the man - Man makes the toys.
1974 RD350
1975 RD350/400 project
1985 BMW K100RS

oxford

Quote from: m in sc on August 25, 2022, 03:26:54 PM
hm.

you have a cdi, correct? id still verify it didnt move. (since may)

OP, what ignition are you using on the bike?

paul1478

Hello guys thanks for all the suggestions. I take all of them to heart.

Carbs yes. They open all the way. I know because I sync them the same way with my fingers on the slides.
I have a vape.
Timing was set 2 years ago and re-checked at the gap this year by Chuck with his timing light.
I also tried to disconnect the key function from the vape by pulling the blue wire off so it acts like a dirt bike/bypasses battery I think.
No change.
Carbon
Cleared from the headers of the pips every time it remove them to clean them.
I also scrape the carbon from the exhaust ports at the same time.
Stingers good point. I have never removed them. I will take them off and annoy the neighbors for a bit.

Paul
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

oxford

Quote from: paul1478 on August 27, 2022, 05:25:47 PM
I have a vape.
Timing was set 2 years ago and re-checked at the gap this year by Chuck with his timing light.

What model do you have?  I seem to remember someone having some issues with the one that had the changeable curves in it. 

Dvsrd

Quote from: paul1478 on August 27, 2022, 05:25:47 PM
I have a vape.

Just checking with a timing light won't tell you if the rotor has slipped. You first need to verify TDC marks or timing mark using a dial gauge in the spark plug hole. Then you can use a timing light to check the ignition timing against the now verified timing marks.

And, please let us know what causes of reduced power you find in the end!

paul1478

Hello
The vape is 2 years old from EC. No curve.
Timing was set with dial indicator to mark and checked with timing light.

I don't know what it is at. Only Chuck said it can use more.

I spoke to him yesterday. He asked about my bike.
We are going to check it out in the fall I think.
He seems to think advancing the timing will do the trick.

We will see.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Dvsrd

That is how I understood it, thanks for confirming.
My point is that the initial base timing was done using a dial gauge, and timing marks were then made according to the dual gauge. Then actual timing was checked by using a timing light and those timing marks.
So far so good.
But if the rotor somehow has slipped, the timing light will NOT show that.
The ONLY way to be 100% sure, is to check/verify the timing marks with a dial gauge, then verify actual timing with a strobe lamp.
Both these checks are quick and easy to do, and a dial gauge with spark plug hole adapter can be found on eBay at pretty low prices