Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Intermittent on One cylinder....

Started by AAAltered, June 10, 2020, 12:09:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

Old power equipment tanks, like lawn mowers, make good, easy remote fuel supplies
I post waayyy too much

elliottles1

Peeps,

washing-up liquid bottle (or whatever you call them over there!!) is perfect, and free, and the fuel line pops straight onto the bottle nozzle.

hope that helps.
cheers
les

m in sc

RDryan

Quote from: smokah on June 10, 2020, 06:52:30 PM
I had that same issue on the same side with the VS ignition on my RD. Ended up being a bad pickup. I ended up going with the powerdynamo.

Yep the Vape/powerdynamo was probably the wisest money I spent on mine but for different reasons.

m in sc

I have to say, ive run a bunch of dynas over the years, most are bullet proof. ive had 1 bad pickup out of the box, maybe 20 years ago on an old s unit. the biggest issue with them is not having the plated and pickups grounded correctly. and im going wayyy back to my cb750 days. I have seen those emgo coils take a shit wayyy more often, they are an old school oil filled design originally intended for British bikes.  Good, but they are what they are.

he already said wiggling the wires near the coils causes it to come in and out.  :twocents:

AAAltered

I had a bad pickup last year on my Dyna. I bought a new one for a Honda for $119 and grafted the pickup onto mine.  I have the other new pickup should I need it.  This appears to be a different problem...
1971 R5
1976 RD200
2022 Moto Guzzi V7 850 Special

AAAltered

I got a few hours today looking at it.  Found multiple things, including that the Yambits throttle cable is just too short for the normal route.  I rerouted on the right side of a the triple., I Hope ultimately I will be ok.

As for running.  I rewired the Spec II coils entirely, new wire and connectors,  I was still having problems with an intermittent spark.   

I examined the wire doing up from the Dyna where it splices into the  coil positive wires.  I soldered the connection, and moved the clamp to the other brown coil wire to get a new connection.  Still not running 100%.

Then I wired in the set of Emgo coils ( fairly new, only a few hours on them).  The bike was running pretty well as seen in the video.  BUT when I touch the red Dyna wire up near the coils the bike dies.  Regardless of any other issues, this is a big one.  I don't think there's a break in the wire, I sense it's that connector. 

Has anyone tried putting a bullet connector on that wire and just plugged it into the open joining connector for the coil posiitives?  Ie the brown wires...  seems like it should work, that stupid pinch connector is just tapping the brown, why not do it with a bullet?

Bike running:

Highly suspect connection:  why can't I just put a bullet male on the red and join with the browns in the connector just to the left?

1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc

OH YEAH, THAT ADD A SPLICE THING SUCKS. (i forgot those were in the kit)
methinks you found it.
actually, you can add a loop connector and some wire, and power it off the + side of the coil.

AAAltered

Right, so it's not inductive, it's just supplying  + To the ignition.  I'll put a connector on and power it from the Brown wire junction.
1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc

AAAltered

Unbelievable (sort of).  After three full garage days troubleshooting, I moved that stupid pinch connector over into a male bullet and joined it at the 4way brown for the coils.  Bike is now running the way I expected, which is pretty perfect.  I idled it for almost five minutes without ANY unusual surge, pop, bog etc.  Took three laps around the block ( FIRST TIME this rebuilt frame is under my power) and it's running great.   Since the chassis was 100% apart I need to take it careful and make sure the bike itself is good ( forks shocks etc etc) but now I can suit up and start the rip around shakedown. 
( forget the sound quality)

1971 R5
1976 RD200

m in sc