Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

bearing race rotation

Started by elliottles1, April 29, 2024, 02:03:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elliottles1

Hi folks,

could i please have a consensus of opinion on stopping the inner race of a crank bearing from rotating on the shaft. the new bearing is reasonable fit but there are signs of rotation on the crankshaft (polishing of the surface) where the bearing sits.

any ideas that dont include buying another crankshaft would be great!

cheers
les.

m in sc

they make shaft/sleeve loctite, green, but not sure how that would hold up. worth a shot.  its #640

elliottles1

m in sc,

i was thinking of using that as a last resort, problem is that they list an "oil resistant" variety and it is hugely expensive and makes me think that the 640 would not stand up to oil.

les.

m in sc

i can say that it will hold up to oil. ive used it on the lathe gearbox at work. but... on a crank bearing..  :huh:

elliottles1

Yeah, i know.

i was wondering if anyone had tried "roughing up" the crank, or drilling for a pin etc.
i was even thinking of applying some water locally and rusting it up a little!!

les.

m in sc

I cant believe i'm suggesting this, but you -could- set the bearing on the shaft and heat up the bearing and crank end and braze it, let it leech in. it sounds like the crank end is toast already, so really nothing to lose. i guess.  Now i feel dirty.  :devil:  :dawg:

elliottles1

npw were getting somewhere!!

m in sc

the only reason i don't say tack weld it, is it will pull the bearing one way or the other when it cools.

elliottles1

im wondering whether a hard solder run in there would hold it

m in sc

i mean, maybe. i'll be honest, its all a bad idea but i also get the gist of why you are doing it. silver solder would be worth trying.

85RZwade

I post waayyy too much

elliottles1

another way, which i think is what i will try, is to touch a small weld "pip" on the crank up against the web and then dremel a small slot in the inner race so that it cannot rotate.

what could possibly go wrong

1976RD400C

I would go with the green Loctite. That's what it was made for, "restoring fits to worn assemblies" and the spec sheet says it is not affected by gas or oil.
'76 RD400 green  '76 RD400 red   '84 RZ350

Dvsrd

What about building up the shaft using thermal powder coating, or hard Chrome, then grind it to correct press fit?

RDnuTZ

J-B Weld Cold Weld formula?  Package says rated 5021 PSI, Fuel & Chemical resistant. I've had success with JB securing rear wheel bearings that fit too loose in the hub.
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)