Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Top End Installation

Started by Joe6v6, April 24, 2024, 07:39:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe6v6

The next thing im going to do to my RD400 is install the top end. The cylinders have been bored & honed, the pistons are fitted to the rods. I am just wondering what the consensus is as far as the base gaskets, do you install them dry? Any type of sealer? For the head gaskets my gasket package came with the copper gasket with the raised rib. On the head bolts any assembly lube? In my experience with car head bolts Ive always used ARP Assembly lube.  .   .   Any info or guidance is appreciated.     

m in sc

there's many ways to do it. me? i hit the base gaskets with wd40 and put em on wet. NOW, before you do this, set the base gaskets, both, on the motor and make sure the 2 inner ends don't touch each other. IF they do, trim them down just enough so they don't.

I usually put a bit of oil in the head bolt threads, just a dash, and i spray copper head gasket spray on my head gaskets. but, thats me and MY method. step torque in 3 steps, heat cycle, check again, then 3 heat cycles and recheck again, then done IMHO.

Joe6v6

Thanks for the reply, Im sure you have put together many of these motors so your method & opinion is great information for me. .   .   Joe