Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Alum brazing to fix hole in pipes?

Started by NYSingh, June 06, 2019, 12:30:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

Prior owner put a dime sized hole in each pipe (bottom side, right at the fat part of the pipe), presumably bc they couldn't get the jetting right and needed an outlet for excess oil/fuel to drain.  Been just ignoring it, but since I have the bike apart I figure I should fix them.

Was thinking of brazing on a piece of metal using aluminum brazing rods and a MAPP gas torch.  That's the heaviest duty equipment I have access to (and I don't know how to weld anyways).  But I'm not sure whether the alum is tough enough to hold given the vibration and heat.  Or could this be a job for JB weld? Any thoughts?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

m in sc

use brass or nickel brazing rod. aluminum wont stick to steel.

You will need to get the material SUPER clean to get it to stick.  :twocents:

NYSingh

Ordered some brass rods, thanks!

Do I have to worry about the carbon buildup inside the pipe catching fire while I'm doing this?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

m in sc

quocle603

use some flux to help clean up the area prior to brazing. Remember to go in small circles and go slowwwwwww
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC