Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Batteries!

Started by NYSingh, July 12, 2019, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NYSingh

Doesn't look like there's been a discussion around batteries on the new site, so figured I'd start one since I need a new battery.

What are people's general thoughts for RDs? 

Type: Conventional v. sealed v. gel v. Li-Ion?

Brand: Yuasa v. Parts Unlimited v. Antigravity v. other?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

pdxjim

I used Lithium batts for awhile but found them to mostly be more hassle than they were worth

Now back to AGM in all but the KTM as the Li batt in it hasn't failed yet
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Striker1423

i have a Yuasa. Just keep it full and on the trickle charger over the winter and it's fine. Just battery acid is a pain.

Organicjedi

My sealed Yuasa is great. No need to mess with acid.

SUPERTUNE

Pad in the RD battery box, use AGM Yamaha Zuma battery.
My only real choice for my builds. I know some like the alarm cheapos... but I like a bolt on terminal not a blade connection for our vibrating RD's
Plus the Absorbed Glass Matt (AGM) hold up well, I've had them last 4-5 years! To me that's outstanding life.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

pdxjim

AGM is the way to go.  Like $30 at Batteries Plus
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

Kawtriplefreak

Moto Batt AGM in all my two strokes.

Tuck

BikeMaster TruGel. Hasn't let me down yet!  :vroom:

Robert58

I have had a Bike Master Lithium Ion DLPP%L-BS , 1.5 lbs holds charge all winter no problems

~JM~

I buy Made in USA AGM batteries from Batteries Plus. I have one in an FT500 that is more than 6 years old.

I have one Anti-Gravity battery. The first one took a dump too soon. The second one is still good.

I use a Battery Tender & rotate through the batteries every couple of months. http://products.batterytender.com/Chargers/PN-021-0199-DL-WH.html

quocle603

been using a sealed LB battery that I got from a local electronic store. It cost me 5-10 dollars and has been working great.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

Dvsrd

Using a non-lead (LiPoFe) battery is one of the best ways to cut weight on any motorcycle, IMHO.
On my Powerdynamo equipped RD350A, I have been using this lightweight battery:
https://www.super-b.com/en/automotive/sb12v2600p-ac
On my XS650D with stock alternator, ignition and electric starter, I use this one:
https://www.super-b.com/en/automotive/sb12v5200p-ac
These batteries are both more than 5 years old, weigh exactly 1 lb and 2 lbs, respectively. The XS cranks over better than with a 14Ah AGM battery.
I really can recommend Super-B batteries!

sav0r

I'm using an Alarm battery on my wifes RD125 and a $25 RC li-ion pack in my 350.. The 125 is stock, notably it doesn't have a regulator, just a rectifier. I guess the charging system is small enough that the battery can handle the charging without any regulation. My 350 has modern regulator/rectifier.

Both work just fine.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

NYSingh

In terms of the specs of the battery, what is required and what would be overkill for use on our kick-start RDs?

The stock Yuasa has a capacity of 5.5AH, and 50 CCA (at least for the RD400).  Is there anything to be gained for getting a battery that is 70, 80, 100+ CCA, or just a waste since we don't have starters?  What about amp hours of less than or greater than the stock 5.5AH?

I'd think the AH should be no lower than the stock Yuasa, but looks like the Zuma 50 battery is 4AH and apparently that works fine. Would 3AH be too little?  6AH overkill?
1976 RD400C (SpecII pipes, K&N Y-boot, Dave F Mod, Team Scream Racing Stage-1 Porting)
Moto Guzzi V7III

SUPERTUNE

Quote from: NYSingh on August 05, 2019, 10:47:42 PM
In terms of the specs of the battery, what is required and what would be overkill for use on our kick-start RDs?

The stock Yuasa has a capacity of 5.5AH, and 50 CCA (at least for the RD400).  Is there anything to be gained for getting a battery that is 70, 80, 100+ CCA, or just a waste since we don't have starters?  What about amp hours of less than or greater than the stock 5.5AH?

I'd think the AH should be no lower than the stock Yuasa, but looks like the Zuma 50 battery is 4AH and apparently that works fine. Would 3AH be too little?  6AH overkill?
I buy the 5AH Zuma, have to look at spec's on it, they make both.
In reality a 5AH is fine, even smaller if you use a Powerdynomo MZB (Vape) as they are truly a modern system as 2 units, magneto to run ignition and charging system to charge the battery. They don't care about a battery as long as it's charging to keep the lights on.
Stock RD systems will not start or run well without a good battery (new 4AH and up) The PD doesn't even need a battery as I said its magneto for ignition to run.
It boils down your lighting/charging load setup that can and will determine if you want larger battery...like having a fouled plug out in the middle of nowhere at night and want to run the headlight to see in the dark to change out a plug without killing the battery if still on a stock system! if you kill the battery it won't start with a new plug... :bang:

Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com