Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

1977 Yamaha IT175 Engine Cases

Started by mnein, April 02, 2024, 01:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mnein

Question on a rebuild of the title bike - is it acceptable/immoral to mix engine cases (i.e. use cases from two different engines) or are they machined and intended to be used as a set? IT 175 cases are vertically split, and on mine one case side has major kickstart shaft and pocket damage. Thanks!

m in sc

they are not line bored at the factory contrary to popular belief. so should be just fine. i've done it on other motors, including vert split ones.  :twocents:   

mnein

RDnuTZ

I have had mixed success with this on my Vintage Yamaha dirt bikes. Have multiple 1975 MX400B and 1 that ran perfect in races but had a broken mount for countershaft cover from a previous chain hit. Swapped on a Left center case from a parts donor basket case motor and the bike developed an air leak I could never track down that causes unpredictable WOT- usually on race starts- FUN times! I'm swapping back on the case with broken mount tab when I get time.

Also had a project 1987 YZ490 that had notorious kick start backlash case damage. Swapped on a new right center case from a YZ465 bought on Ebay that fit/ran perfectly. I opt for complete set of matching whenever possible nowadays.

YMMV
1986 TZR250R Restricted Japan Domestic market bike (Project)
1977 RD400 (Project)
1974 RD350 (2) (Projects)
1973 RD250 (Project)
2022 Beta 300 X-Trainer, Yamaha Vintage MX, YZ (18)

mnein

Thanks RDnutz for your contribution. If my fantasy of putting a bushing in the kickstart hole pans out I may be able to use these cases, otherwise I'm at the mercy of ebay. Yamaha must have had a thing for kickstart shaft/pocket damage, every shaft I see on ebay has damage. BTW, you like your big bore 2 strokes I see!