This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Another LC/TZ Hybrid

Started by 85RZwade, January 12, 2020, 02:45:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

85RZwade

:whistle: Anyway...
I married the LC top case half to the RD bottom half as suggested by Mr. Spooner, for the purpose of establishing engine mounts:

I suppose it's more of a date, as nobody expects them to stay together...the whole coolant thing

Near-perfect fit, as advertised. Reminds me of parts-bin engineering, and I mean that in the most respectful and admiring way.

Is anyone else thinking "Bond movie"?
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

Pretty cool how they fit together isn't it?
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

85RZwade

Yes, even though you told me what to expect it was still a cool moment to see how well everything lined up. I was thinking "I could almost put shafts in there", but the countershaft bores are off by about a millimeter.
Gotta roll the frame out of the corner and get started on the mounts (easier said than done).
I post waayyy too much

Jspooner

I think I might still have my mock up spacers for the front. I'm sure they will be the same for yours. I'll look for them. If so I'll give you the dims. I also have a few other things that might help you out with this.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

85RZwade

I am not enjoying the fuel tank search. New fiberglass tanks are too many $$, and the OEM tanks close to the shape I like are thin on the ground and 35-45 years old. Best case scenario looks like a bit over $150 after shipping for a tank that has a dent or two, some rust inside and no cap or petcock. A breaker in Missouri wants $105 shipping, while another in Australia only needs $40 for a similarly priced tank!
Thanks, I just needed to bitch; I'll keep looking. Maybe on eBay.au!
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

I was lucky to find the CB200 tank I'm using, which came with the chrome flip cap and full trim inc badges.....but no petcock. £35 ($40) in the UK...my point, random parts soon push the total cost upwards rapidly.

Did you spot the other LC thread on here by Spooner? Engine looked very well built and detailed.

What's the overall style you're aiming at?

85RZwade

Good question, Colin, and by the way I re-read your build thread this morning. That tank was a nice find!
I am familiar with Joe's build, and my end goal is similar to his result: a cafe racer with a bit more than a passing resemblance to a production road racer, TZ, TA, TD etc. I like the look of those bikes, and my body still tolerates clip-ons and rearsets, so why not?
I was just outside a bit ago disassembling the LC clutch basket so I can transfer the hub and primary gear assembly to the aftermarket billet basket, so I'm still pressing forward. Watch this space!
How is your engine coming together?
I post waayyy too much

NoRiders

The GT200 engine is built....

I just looked up TA TD TZ tanks...wowser mucho dinero amigo!! But, it'll be the crowning glory to your build....sometimes, you have to bite the bullet and go for it.....after all, you can get by with just one kidney I'm told ;) Maybe, a fire sale of redundant RD parts will top up the tank fund?

pdxjim

^ That looks like a helluva deal for a (probably) India made tank.

Just need to find one that ships to the States.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

SUPERTUNE

Did you email Sakis?

Sakis Vasilopoulos. sakisathensgr@yahoo.com

He's in Palm beach FL. area

He made my racebike tank.

Chuck

RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

85RZwade

Oh, boy.
Colin-glad your engine came together and is ready to slot into the frame. Yes, I have been amazed at the prices those tanks command, and they're simply out of reach. And I have also definitely been considering that other tank on eBay; there are many of them, and I suspect they all come from...
Jim-India. They're all amazingly inexpensive, pretty much just what I want...and I watched that video of the India-made tank being cut open. Scardey cat.
Chuck- no, I haven't but I definitely will. Thanks for the contact info, I'll brace myself for the quote. The tank on your bike is spot-on.

P.S. Gotta hang on to my kidneys in case one of my kids needs one someday!
I post waayyy too much

economan

Now that is a shit eatin grin only a Mother would love. What a possier. :)    :eek:

Love ya Doc.   ;D

Czakky

Do you still have the bike Chuck?

SUPERTUNE

Yes, in a different configuration so I could win Daytona twice!
I had to lose the TZ250 fairing and use only a TA125 nose fairing. Gained 3 miles an hour... Thanks to Sakis making it.
C
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com