Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Quick question

Started by bheezy27403, November 06, 2021, 09:31:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bheezy27403

Morning gents. I have noticed, when warm, my RD smokes very little that I notice, if at all. When starting from cold it does but once warm, nothing. Even when I rev in neutral, off the bike, I see nothing. I checked out the pump yesterday and it's doing it's thing. Gear turning at bottom and pulsing at the top. Normal? Should I be concerned?

Arrow

Have you set the minimum stroke to the correct specification? It controls oiling all the way through the rev range.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

bheezy27403

Quote from: Arrow on November 06, 2021, 09:32:45 AM
Have you set the minimum stroke to the correct specification? It controls oiling all the way through the rev range.

I haven't touched it. It was rebuilt by the PO who is a good wrench. I suppose I should read up on the adjustment of it.

Arrow

Should be at least checked every 2000 miles, and adjusted if necessary.

Washerman

Mine does the same thing always has. Smokes pretty good when cold and nothing after warm up and a ride i dont worry about it.

bheezy27403

Quote from: Washerman on November 06, 2021, 11:06:52 AM
Mine does the same thing always has. Smokes pretty good when cold and nothing after warm up and a ride i dont worry about it.

Thanks. I've put about 400 on it since I got it and typically ride and don't worry, but in the back of my mind....

Striker1423

Check the minimum stroke as Arrow suggested.

Arrow

Checking and setting the minimum stroke is routine maintenance. It goes smaller over time. This gives less oil...

bheezy27403

Is there a link on how to check stroke? Never done it.

Arrow

It's easier on yours because of the priming wheel.
Turn the wheel until the plunger is at the fully out position (you can practice this a few times) then check the gap using feeler gauges, in between the large washer and the little raised heel on the pulley. You need 10 thou (0.25mm).
If for example you only have 4 thou, you will need to add 6 thou of shim(s) to what is already there.

bheezy27403

Quote from: Arrow on November 06, 2021, 12:40:32 PM
It's easier on yours because of the priming wheel.
Turn the wheel until the plunger is at the fully out position (you can practice this a few times) then check the gap using feeler gauges, in between the large washer and the little raised heel on the pulley. You need 10 thou (0.25mm).
If for example you only have 4 thou, you will need to add 6 thou of shim(s) to what is already there.

Thank you.

Arrow

[emoji41]

SoCal250

In addition to the adjustment that Arrow mentioned...
in regard to your issue of smoking when cold and not when hot, your type of oil will affect this. This is pretty common with modern oils. Off a cold start the oil smoke is visible, but after warm up you can barely (if at all) see any smoke. Some of them are even labeled "smokeless". Motul 710 & 510 for example are labeled "Anti-Smoke". :twocents:
75 Yamaha RD125B   75 Yamaha RD125B (project)
75 Yamaha RD250B   75 Yamaha RD200B (project)
73 Yamaha RD350     77 Yamaha RD400D   79 Yamaha RD400F  
91 Yamaha TZR250R  89 Yamaha FZR400   05 Yamaha FZ6   
05 Yamaha XT225TC  82 Honda MB5  02 Aprilia RS250 Cup (sold)

Arrow

Quote from: SoCal250 on November 06, 2021, 01:21:34 PM
in regard to your issue of smoking when cold and not when hot, your type of oil will affect this. This is pretty common with modern oils. Off a cold start the oil smoke is visible, but after warm up you can barely (if at all) see any smoke. Some of them are even labeled "smokeless". Motul 710 & 510 for example are labeled "Anti-Smoke". :twocents:
Also, the check valves can be passing. Shows up a lot more when starting up if the bike has not been ran for a couple of weeks.

bheezy27403

Quote from: SoCal250 on November 06, 2021, 01:21:34 PM

Good info. Thanks. I'm using Amsoil Interceptor. I see it claims low smoke and odor. Well there you go. I will check the stroke to familiarize myself with the process for maintenance as well.