Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Fresh start, fresh problems

Started by Striker1423, March 20, 2019, 12:51:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker1423

I was able to purchase two gallons of yamalube watercraft 2T from the dealer for less than 20 bucks. So I'm set for the summer. :)

Striker1423

So, I tried a few different silicones as well as new o-rings from grainger with no real luck keeping the exhaust in the left slip-on. My question is, do any of you know of a teflon tape, or silicone tape, maybe even a viton tape that's thin enough to be wrapped to where the pipe just presses on? I'm thinking if I can get the thing to seal up enough I can finish it off with a bit of the right stuff to ensure it wont leak. I did not try chemical teflon tape because I don't know what kind of temperatures it can withstand. I could perhaps put a new o-ring in and wrap it in chemical teflon and try again. Might at least hold the o-ring together instead of allowing it to burn and fall apart.

Jim Lomas has been no help as far as what kind of o-ring they used... they don't answer their emails. But, if anyone needs a bunch of o-rings, I have 24 of one size and 50 of another courtesy of Grainger. (cost 7 dollars for all of them lol).

Czakky

Yes the o-rings suck for sure. I don't have a ton of miles yet but I'm experimenting with self adhesive silicon tape and regular household silicone, which probably acts more like a lubricant when sliding the head pipe on.
I used about 2-3 wraps stretched fairly tight.
So far it's held up really well.
I was planning on doing a write up after I was confident it worked.

teazer

Clean O rings, high temp Permatex and strong springs work for me.  Are the springs strong enough or are they too long to provide proper tension??

Striker1423

They were just long enough to hook over and hold the headpipe on semi straight. I noted how little tension there was so I fixed it by flipping the manifolds the other way so the spring hooks were opposite sides of each other and both springs have excellent tension now. I just tried silicone tape as czakky so I'll see how it holds up today when I'm home.

Striker1423

Now I'm pissed off.

Exhaust seems sealed. All good there. Go to head out for lunch and I hesitate pulling out onto a busy road and the bike jerks for just a split second and keeps running when I have the clutch partially pulled. Thinking nothing of it I hit the gas at a clearing and thankfully not like an ass because the bike shoots backwards 2 or 3 feet.

paul1478

that happened to me when I rode Chucks bike. Very strange feeling.
76 Team Scream RD400
1993 FJ1200
2006 Goldwing
2022 Ducati V2 Panigale

Striker1423

Double post. Mod can delete.

Organicjedi

Quote from: Striker1423 on June 26, 2019, 12:57:12 PM
Now I'm pissed off.

Exhaust seems sealed. All good there. Go to head out for lunch and I hesitate pulling out onto a busy road and the bike jerks for just a split second and keeps running when I have the clutch partially pulled. Thinking nothing of it I hit the gas at a clearing and thankfully not like an ass because the bike shoots backwards 2 or 3 feet.

What ignition are you using? Had the same issue with my bike last year with the VS ignition that I bought a few years back. It hasn't done it this year so far but I hardly have any miles on.

Mine also switched to running backward off of a stop sign. I don't know who was more surprised. Me or the car that was stopped behind me.

Striker1423

Quote from: Organicjedi on June 26, 2019, 04:26:39 PM
Quote from: Striker1423 on June 26, 2019, 12:57:12 PM
Now I'm pissed off.

What ignition are you using? Had the same issue with my bike last year with the VS ignition that I bought a few years back. It hasn't done it this year so far but I hardly have any miles on.

Mine also switched to running backward off of a stop sign. I don't know who was more surprised. Me or the car that was stopped behind me.

It's a VS ignition. He said check charging system at 7 or 8k. I did and it drops to like 12 to 13 volts. So either it isn't charging, or I have a somewhat bad ground. Nick also suggested I check the magnets with a paper clip, and then double check the timing. I'll do all these things tonight. At this moment I'm just about ready to sell it and be done with bikes for the summer. At least my kayak doesn't break down.

Organicjedi

I checked that stuff too and it was fine.

I did recently find a bad connection where my stator plugs in to the main wiring harness. I'm hoping there's the off chance that fixes the running backward issue. From what I understand, the three magnets are what prevent it from running backward. I've heard from a handful of other guys who are having the same issue within the last 2-3 years. All have a VS ignition. Who knows.

Striker1423

My timing was off by a bit. Don't know exactly how but it must have slipped a bit as I triple checked it was at 1.8mm btdc.

But the left cylinder was at 1.6 and the right was at 1.5.

That might have been enough to cause it. So that also probably contributed to my idling issues. Still dont understand what woul have caused it to drift.

SUPERTUNE

When timing is that retarded it's easier for 2 strokes to run backwards.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Barrie

Scott's do it all the time, you can reverse out of a parking bay, a good party trick
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

Czakky