Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Dogster Chambers

Started by LMS, January 13, 2023, 03:53:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawaii-Mike

There's a bikes and coffee meet tomorrow and Tyrone is supposed to ride there with me on his recently completed '78 RD400.  I'll ask him what he thinks of the JL pipes.

LMS

I'm waiting on an answer from the dogster guy in regard to shipping prices. I'm guessing that if they the charge more for shipping, less for purchase price, maybe they don't hit as hard, tax wise.
I was going to buy JL because let's face it, they are great looking pipes and lots seems to like them. But people also rave about spec2. With the research I did, I was going to get his F1 pipes until he hit me with the 995 price tag. Yikes! JLs can be had for about 120 cheaper if you buy direct.
Then you have the builders in India that are producing some amazing looking pipes, all around the 600 range, shipped. But most of them, if not all, are not setup with paypal accounts. Sketchy.
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

Hawaii-Mike

I met Tyrone and we rode to Bikes & Coffee with two other friends who own CB400F's.

Tyrone has Fukui titanium chambers, not JL.  His bike has stage 2 porting, it's very fast! He says it will power wheelie in the first three gears.

Tyrone is on this forum, his username is speedchoppy  http://www.2strokeworld.net/forum/index.php?topic=5093.0

2 Smoker

LMS

m in sc

running a bit rich down low but they sound good.  :bacon:

85RZwade

I went through this a year ago, looking for pipes for my RD350. Milleniums became unavailable (again), I went around and around with Chris at Patriot, Dogster wasn't around yet, there were lovely but unavailable pipes out of the Czech Republic and shiny things from India with unknown performance, quality or actual availability. It came down to price and availability: Spec II were more money and I'd get them someday, while JL were in stock at Economy cycle. Done.
I post waayyy too much

RDFL

Hot climate aircooled 2T better to be rich at idle.

rlloydm

Quote from: 85RZwade on January 15, 2023, 11:12:23 AM
I went through this a year ago, looking for pipes for my RD350. Milleniums became unavailable (again), I went around and around with Chris at Patriot, Dogster wasn't around yet, there were lovely but unavailable pipes out of the Czech Republic and shiny things from India with unknown performance, quality or actual availability. It came down to price and availability: Spec II were more money and I'd get them someday, while JL were in stock at Economy cycle. Done.

Are Spec IIs really more than JL pipes these days?

LMS

Quote from: rlloydm on January 16, 2023, 09:35:43 AM
Quote from: 85RZwade on January 15, 2023, 11:12:23 AM

Are Spec IIs really more than JL pipes these days?

That depends on what pipe you get from spec. F1's are 995, his other version are 200 less. JL's, non ss if bought direct are 800, his other pipe, 680. Both companies offer two different style pipes. Then you have shipping.

m in sc

garys production costs are probably.. more overall, I cant imagine what his rent is. he is a one man show. currently owning both pipes, i can say the specIIs are damn good as we all know, and the jls are as well, just a preference.   the specII's are def racier and tune differently than the lomas pipes.

rlloydm

Quote from: m in sc on January 16, 2023, 11:26:27 AM
garys production costs are probably.. more overall, I cant imagine what his rent is. he is a one man show. currently owning both pipes, i can say the specIIs are damn good as we all know, and the jls are as well, just a preference.   the specII's are def racier and tune differently than the lomas pipes.

Not looking to start any fights but a pretty well known east coast builder/tuner called the JL pipes "noisemakers" whenI was in his shop dyno'ing a bike with a friend not too long ago

m in sc

No problem, i know who hates them.  :whistle:  I saw no performance decrease running them on my bike vs the f1s that are now on the lightweight. the do need more fuel in the midrange than the specII's did though.

50 rwhp on a 350 with 30mm carbs:

https://youtu.be/fnkrLy8qqmk

teazer

A couple of data points.

My RZ came with Spec2 pipes when I bought it in 93 or so and I wouldn't swap them for anything.  They run clean and make around 56 at the back wheel with stock motor and carbs.

I ported an aircooled RD a couple of years ago and it came with a seized motor and beautiful shiny Lomas pipes.  That one made around 52 at the rear wheel with stock 28mm carbs, and the owner loved it.   

Had DG pipes on an RD400G back in Australia that were OK but not inspiring which should come as no surprise to anyone.

RDFL

I couldn't believe how high DG's are now ($665!!) after seeing ad for them at bottom of Dogster description.