Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Evinrude to stop manufacturing Etec and Etec2 direct injection outboards

Started by Dvsrd, June 25, 2020, 05:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

Bummer! Maybe one of the most advanced 2 stroke otto engine product lines is axed as of just now:

https://www.soundingsonline.com/news/evinrude-production-comes-to-an-end

I was serieously considering buying an Etec 90 to replace my fuel guzzling Mercury 90 ELPTO carburetted 2 stroke outboard. All 90 or 100 hp 4 strokes are just ridiculously heavy compared to the Etec or my old Mercury, and that extra weight would flood the self draining cockpit sole of my Quicksilver 550 WA when anchored or drifting, like when fishing etc,

RDryan

Wow, just freaking wow. I wonder what would prompt this business move? I'm a commercial clammer and I live within a hot bed for soft shell clamming...steamers and fried clams,clam chowda, clambakes...you get the idea. Oh yeah baby! :bacon: Seriously though it's back breaking year round work and gone are the days of a hard starting old school two stroke outboard. Personally I have my 78' Mirrocraft 14ft skiff outfitted with a new (2015 is when I got it) Suzuki 20hp fourstroke. However I know of at least two fella's one being my stepfather that have 25hp Etec's and those motors have the power to pull like a 40hp four stroke. They also start super easy and sound super quiet doing it. They're kinda big engines compared to my little Suzuki but they really are brilliant. My Suzuki tries to lay claim to battery less fuel injection which is awesome as well as a class leading 100 pound weight but the Etec's have the same battery less feature as well as direct oil injection, simply brilliant and they never smoke!

P.S I have to correct myself. I know three fellow clammers that own these Etecs as well as an old friend of mine that outfitted a 17' Maiko center console fiberglass boat with a 100hp model and that's an amazing outboard as well.  All I know is that there will be long faces in the boating world over this.