Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Help me choose carburetors for 1979 RD400F

Started by rearwheelslider, December 04, 2023, 02:28:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on December 26, 2023, 02:59:17 PM^ive used those as well.

You can remove the lower locknut and/or cut more threads if more adjustment is needed.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

rearwheelslider

Quote from: pdxjim on December 26, 2023, 02:26:35 PMI used these off Amazon. They worked perfect to fit a genuine standard LC cable to my genuine PWKs.

Sudco Adjuster Asmbly 40 Degree... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T6J9VHY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Frick yea, Thanks guys!
1979 RD400F Daytona with Wicked chambers, Y boot, PWK30mm's.
1982 CB900F
2008 Speed Triple 1050
2001 CR250R

rearwheelslider

Hey guys, I am finally putting some miles on to the bike and its a ripper! Love it.

I do have a question. The idle seems a bit uneven. The carbs have been synchronized and all adjustments are equal. To do this, I removed spark plugs from opposing cylinders and let the bike run on one cylinder. I adjusted the idle to allow the bike to run at 1k rpm on each cylinder, then installed both plugs and turned back the idle adjusters equally.

The left side cylinder has a stronger idle, it puff puffs seemingly every combustion stroke, while the right side will puff puff much less often(normal two stroke behavior), like once every couple seconds.

To compensate for this, it liked a half turn in on the left and screw and a half turn out on the right. The idle is much better like this. Above idle it is perfectly even. Is this indicative of an air leak on the left cylinder?
1982 CB900F
2008 Speed Triple 1050
2001 CR250R

m in sc

double check float level. if its richer on the RH cyl, id bet its too high. (pull plugs and check them after idling)

rearwheelslider

Quote from: m in sc on January 18, 2024, 12:07:44 PMdouble check float level. if its richer on the RH cyl, id bet its too high. (pull plugs and check them after idling)

Float level was checked and adjusted. Same condition. I then swapped the carbs left to right and the high idle followed the carb. I pulled both carbs and inspected them. The floats were set very high(low fuel level in bowl). I adjusted them and the condition remained. I did inspect the jets, and somehow the mains are Mikuni branded(square in a square logo) 138's. I believe the jet sizes are the same numerically from keihin to mikuni and they appear physically identical to the Keihins that I have. Any objections to me leaving those in there?

The pilot jets are off brand and the printing is different between the two. Turns out, 38's are the ones I dont have genuine versions of... But I think this may fix the idling issue.

Regarding the Needles, I am running the jjh. The bike seems a bit fat in the middle throttle input. Thinking of a leaner needle such as JJJ or JJK. Thoughts on this?
1982 CB900F
2008 Speed Triple 1050
2001 CR250R

m in sc