Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Keihin PWK28 challenge!

Started by pdxjim, June 09, 2019, 09:19:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdxjim

Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

i think you'll learn the needles are different and jetting changes. i think Nick found that out, so calculate in the need for new needles as well. for example, the 'jjh' needles are pretty much the gold standard for rzs/banshees/rds but i -think- those come with 'nap-f' needles or ? something different.

:twocents:

pdxjim

Quote from: m in sc on June 11, 2019, 12:16:31 PM
i think you'll learn the needles are different and jetting changes. i think Nick found that out, so calculate in the need for new needles as well. for example, the 'jjh' needles are pretty much the gold standard for rzs/banshees/rds but i -think- those come with 'nap-f' needles or ? something different.
:twocents:

Hmmm.  Thanks for that Mark.

Do the KX85 carbs come with the correct JJH needles and close jetting?

Still seems a bargain even with the added expense.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

Hawaii-Mike

I bought a set of JJH needles at the local moped shop for $12.

pdxjim

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on June 11, 2019, 12:40:20 PM
I bought a set of JJH needles at the local moped shop for $12.

Yeah!  The scooter shop down the street from me has tons of Keihin and Polini jets/needles.

pdxjim

Genuine Keihin PWK28 KX100 carbs ordered from Bikebandit.com!

Thanks for playing, everyone.

Extra special thanks goes all the way out to tony27 in New Zealand for cracking the KX100 vs. KX85 code.

oxford

A little late but do the kx85 and kx100 have the same slides in them?

m in sc

that i know, they do.

well done jim.  :toot:

bracket maker

I don't get it. why pwk kx and not banshee. I only see one part number but don't you need a left and a right to choke? also makes adjustment more difficult because on one carb the adjustment screws will be pointing the wrong way.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

m in sc

..banshees never came with pwks.  and they arent hard to tune with 2 one sided carbs. also, you can drill and tap the body to accept the slide screw on the other side, ive done it.  :twocents:

pdxjim

Quote from: bracket maker on June 12, 2019, 09:30:10 AM
I don't get it. why pwk kx and not banshee. I only see one part number but don't you need a left and a right to choke? also makes adjustment more difficult because on one carb the adjustment screws will be pointing the wrong way.

Banshees use early 70's tech VM series carbs.

PWK is a much more modern design.

bracket maker

Quote from: m in sc on June 12, 2019, 10:23:14 AM
..banshees never came with pwks.  and they arent hard to tune with 2 one sided carbs. also, you can drill and tap the body to accept the slide screw on the other side, ive done it.  :twocents:

its not hard to adjust you just need to carry a screwdriver to adjust the idle. pita. so much easier with finger screws. hate this on my honda. I used a cable choke. would not do this again because I had to run cables. jim has to rig something so he can reach the choke on the wrong side.

genuine banshee vm 28mm's come in pairs drilled, tapped and hosed. screws pointing in the right direction. early '80's tech. they have an improved needle.

I'm a looser anyway. did the search keyword kx100 carburetor came back kx80/85/100 bootleg pwk's are $20, $38.80 for 2. I would have gone this route If I needed only one. for 2 I want a right and a left.

I agree tossing the original r5 vm28ss's unless you tap the main and move it out of the bowl. needle valve changes easy. '60 tech blows. nice when '80's needle fits the stock seat.
HAPPY TO BE HOME, 69-13 FTW,

m in sc

banshees had VM26's actually.

the knockoffs are huge risk, ask how i know. body not drilled right, needles of unknown taper, air jet orifice drilled tot he wrong sizes... been there, done it.

5 minutes with a drill and an m5 tap and you have a thumb screw on both sides of the pwk. cap the old hole with a short m5 screw and done. you just reach in and pull the choke up. I do this with the pj34s.  whats the issue? none.

pdxjim

Ummmm ... no (bracket maker).

PWK has thumb screws for the idle adjustment.  No screwdriver needed.  Plus, I just set them up at home using the Uni-syn or whatever.  Once setup, just use the adjuster at the throttle to speed up the idle if needed.  Also, if your sh!t is correct, once every thing is dialed in you only need to choke one side to start the bike. 

The bootleg PWKs are crap.

You never get a right and left with aftermarket carbs off the shelf.  Most are easy to modify though (if you really think its necessary), or get carbs off a modern 2T twin.  KR1s, 1KT, etc were a good choice BITD, but crazy expensive and worn out by now.