Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

How to get started with racing?

Started by bhh1989, December 20, 2019, 11:00:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhh1989

Hey guys. I am interested in getting into racing but have no clue how people get involved. To be honest, I just want a chance to learn how (slowly) in some sort of racing class that is, simply put, not very serious. Does such a thing exist? I figure I could go to racing schools somewhere to learn as well? Sounds expensive though.

I am currently building a DS7 which I intend to leave piston port 250 for now. May or may not want to race with that, I have been advised that you don't want to go learning on a bike with that much powerband.

I used to have a heavily modded RD350 that I took around the track at Barber Vintage for a few laps with some WOT. I've had the desire to get into it ever since.

pdxjim

First question:  where are you located?
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

SUPERTUNE

Where do you live?
Here in Florida we have a winter series called FMRRA and just started a vintage group.
Just were at Homestead-Miami Speedway last weekend and a total blast.
I'll post some stuff up about it in the events section soon.

Look for Penguin road racing school online with the Wood's for classes to get a licence.
http://www.penguinracing.com/

Eric Wood
105 Baldwinville Rd, Winchendon, MA 01475

Phone: +1 978 400 8204

I'm a past national champion for many years...
On my second entry back into racing I took the Penguin School with Eric.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

hoffkurt

I race a RD350 in the AHRMA Formula 500 class. Getting started with AHRMA is pretty easy.

1. Go to the AHRMA website and download the riders handbook
2. Read up on what class(s) your bike fits in
3. Build the bike to the specs of the class(s)
4. Register for the AHRMA race school
5. Pass the class
6. Race that weekend

You also need all the proper racing gear: Leathers, Helmet, boots, gloves, back protection...
And bike needs to be able to past tech

bhh1989

bhh1989

Quote from: hoffkurt on December 20, 2019, 12:53:54 PM

What level of safety wiring is typically required? Every fastener or just some select ones?

IR8D8R

I too am currently in Knoxville, TN.

When I wanted to get into sports car racing I started by doing track days with my car club. Alfa Romeo Association in N. California. Being around the track got me in touch with the resident racing school. At Sears Point in Sonoma CA. Back then it was Bob Bondurant. One of the best things I ever did. It was expensive. Had some college money I thought I didn't need anymore...

Chuck's school looks pretty good. Plus they have bikes to use if you have an accident. Which is highly likely in racing school in my experience. With cars this didn't usually result in damage but dropping a bike in a corner probably would. We were using Merkur XR4Ti and Formula Vee. No idea what their V-twins would be at Penguin.

I can tell you that fellow racers always felt good about guys who had been to school. At least you know that they have been told what not to do at some point. Even if they didn't listen. On every track there will be at least one guy who tries to pass when he shouldn't (Probably in a Porsche). When you have money invested and some idiot wrecks you it's pretty frustrating. I've never had a motorcycle on a track so it seems the stakes would be higher than a bent fender or a broken wheel. Maybe that makes people act better...

IR8D8R

hoffkurt

Quote from: bhh1989 on December 20, 2019, 02:31:02 PM
Quote from: hoffkurt on December 20, 2019, 12:53:54 PM

What level of safety wiring is typically required? Every fastener or just some select ones?

It's all listed in the AHRMA handbook. But anything to do with fluids, brakes, and exhaust for the most part.

Yamaha 179

There are a few guys in the Knoxville area that are vintage road racers.  PM me and I'll hook you up with them.  I'm in the Atlanta, GA area and can help you out too, but they are a lot closer for personal contact.
Lyn Garland

soonerbillz

If you want to go racing....and have little or no experience then the #1 thing you need first is seat time. There is in just about every locale.. track day promoters that are offering events for you as a novice to be involved in that will get you up to speed on running your bike in a safe environment as close to race traffic as possible. The amount of real track seat time you have the better prepared you will be for the real thing..
Most track day events will not only have qualified instructors to assist..but the participants will be likely 1/2 actual racers getting... more seat time.
All the technical details for the organization you want to race in is readily available on the orgs sites.. but actually being ready to race.. takes practice and .... seat time in a track situation.
Good luck..

bhh1989

Thanks guys, all good advice! Sounds like my area has plenty enough going on too (as I would suspect with proximity to Barber, Bristol, the Dragon etc.). Sounds like I need to a) get as much seat time as possible and b) be mentally prepared to drop my bike  :eek:

Djg8493

I would also advise that prior to racing, track days are a must.  Some organizations allow you to rent gear and a bike and this is the easiest way to start, I highly recommend Team ProMotion ridetpm.com I have done many days with them and they are some of the safest, most helpful clubs.  They offer a new rider deal for around $500 that will give you all the gear, a bike to ride and a new rider school in the morning.  By the afternoon you are much more confident on the track.  While you are at track days you can usually find cheap track bikes as well, buying a cheap Ninja 250, R6 or SV is a great way to rack up seat time before you jump on an old 2 stroke.
1970 R5, 1975 Rd350, 1978 GT80, 1979 KZ400, 1988 Ysr50, 1990 GSXR750, 2006 WR450 SM, 2006 R6

triple1972

I am also hoping to race USCRA up here in NH this year. My friend Rick Frost is going to mentor me. He was an accomplished racer in the 80's. (Did some racing with Chuck). He has his own shop to run and sometimes I like to reach out to Forum guys with questions instead of bugging him. Anyone race with Factory pipe products chambers? I picked up a nice used set and intend on using them on my 400 in the Formula RD series up here. One thing I did hear is that the stingers are prone to breaking and may need to be re-enforced?

Plasticman

Start with a track day or training class, rent or borrow a motorcycle (that is already track day/race prepared) for that event to see if you like it.  If you do, then spend a bunch of money getting your motorcycle ready to race and give it a go.

If not, that was money well spent.

Rob
1976 - RD400 - road racer
1977 - RD400 - project (single shock/cartridge fork/modern wheels/brakes)
1978 - RD400 - Auburn themed motorcycle
1979 - RD400 - Daytona (under restoration)

pdxjim

No reason you can't do a trackday on a healthy vintage bike as long as you don't mind getting passed at 180mph and can maintain good corner speed into turn one.  :dawg:

I've done lots of trackdays on my TZR, TDR, and KTM 300xcw.  None of them will do much over 115mph.  They'll just put you in the slow group until you can show you can keep up or stay out of the way.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A