Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

LED weirdness

Started by LMS, April 07, 2023, 01:33:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LMS

I installed an LED taillight brake light, does not have built in turn signal, so 3 wires. I also installed some Leds in the cluster. Did not install led turn signals, standard bulb in stop lamp in dash. Every works as it should, 'except' that the taillight when the light switch is in the off position, lights up 2 of the 5 Leds in the taillight very dimly. If I have the light switch on, no issues, when I turn it off it switches off for a split second, then turns the two on. Guessing I need to add a resistor or a diode of some sort?
thx
75 RD350 bought 12/22. First motorcycle I have ever owned.

LMS

Removing stop lamp bulb in cluster fixed it.

m in sc

ah, the added resistance. interesting.

glad you found it.

LMS

Why is there even a stop lamp light, is that because it has a light checker module under tank to warn you, kind of like an idiot light?
Sorry for all the questions, but this is all new to me. Wait until I get it started (hopefully) and start trying to figure out how to adjust/jet the carbs, time it, etc.
thx.

m in sc

if the std rear bulb blows, it stays on to let you know its out. its actually a really nice feature IMHO.

Hawaii-Mike

I recently tried an Auxito Canbus tail light bulb and everything works properly.  A few years ago I tried several LED tail light bulbs, regular and Canbus and none of them worked properly at that time.  The main fault I experienced was that the brake warning light in the speedo would blink on and off.

LMS

I tried a led bulb for the stop lamp in cluster, and it blinked as well. Then changed it the stock bulb, that's when it lit only a few leds in taillight. I would have liked for it to work, but time to move on. I'll circle back to it, many more issues to address.
Thx.

m in sc

the control unit relies on the resistance of the bulbs to work correctly.

kramdua

my brake light check on my cluster was alway's dim but got brighter when the brake pressed. the last time i was in my headlight bucket i disconnected the wires to the bulb. problem solved.
8 year absent.
back in action.
virginia.

LMS

I learned a valuable lesson in regard to motorcycle batteries, ie... they don't not last worth a shat when testing out the electronics. Was chasing my tail this am, then charged battery, problems solved. duh. :bang: