Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Amsoil Sabre / fuel Premix question

Started by suey1958, July 17, 2019, 02:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suey1958

I am draining some old premix gas and mixing up some fresh. (stock rd350)

I normally use 3 ounces of Amsoil Sabre per gallon and it has always seemed ok with that. Is that about the right mixture (or should I be using more / less ?)

Thanks

murphywv

that's a 40/1 mix. Probably a little lean on oil if you are flogging it. If not probably fine...depends on what you have it jetted for more importantly.
1974 RD350 not stock
KTM 300 XC-W
Beta 500R-SS
And a big ol' chopper

thatguy

"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

~JM~

Do yourself a HUGE favor & buy a Ratio-Rite: http://www.ratiorite.com/home.html

An excellent tool to own.

quocle603

The reason why he's asking is because it's recommended to run 100:1 with Amsoil Sabre. He just wanted to know what would be the proper ratio for an RD.
Do not underestimate the power of a two-stroke.

1975 Yamaha RD350 (modified), 1973 Yamaha RD350 (stock), 1971 Suzuki T500, 1981 Yamaha XS650 HS2, 1982 Honda MB5, 1980 Puch Maxi, 1979 Puch Magnum, 1993 Tomos Bullet, 2003 Malaguti Firefox F15 LC

teazer

Forget Ratio Rite.  Get an Accu-mix jug from Rick Merhar of accu-products if he's still selling them.  The only way to mix gas and oil.

People fixate on jetting.  Adding oil at 100:1 would lean out jetting by 1% or say going from 200 main jet to 202.  At 50:1 that change would be from 200 to 204 (just about measurable).

At 25:1 we're starting to notice the difference.  200 changes to 208.  Ok so now were up to a full jet size change.  It's not that there isn't a change but it's much smaller than people believe.  And BTW, the energy density of oil is close to that of gasoline though it may burn differently so that means it needs even less of a jetting change.

SUPERTUNE

40:1 is fine on good modern oil for a streetbike that has to stop at redlights and stop signs for traffic.
If a trackbike your in the 20:1 -25:1 range.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

suey1958

Thanks for the input and Clarification,...I still have a lot to learn. Great to have this forum in my toolbox !

m in sc

yeah, ive been running 40:1 int he lc hybrid recently, and the lightweight as well, they seem to like it vs the 32:1 i used to run stuff at, but i think the type of oil makes a big difference as well.

sav0r

Same, 40:1. I ran 32:1 for a bit but 40:1 was better for around town. Just had to jet a tad leaner with less oil.

I'm a Motul guy, but I think there are lots of good oils these days.
www.chrislivengood.net - for my projects and musings.

bike buff

Seek a clarification. Are we talking about pre-mixing synthetic or ordinary 2T oils?

suey1958

bike buff

Okay. Then, what will be the premixing ratio be if non synthetic oils are being used?

thatguy

Other than very lean oil ratios (100:1 ect.) I see no reason for changing ratios when running mineral based oils.
"Don't be too timid and squeamish about your actions. All life is an experiment." – Ralph Waldo Emerson

bike buff