Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

No weld tank crossover options

Started by smokah, February 11, 2020, 07:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokah

So I bought a Chinese cafe racer tank for my RD350 but in haste my painter coated the inside and painted it before we discussed the crossover. So I'm in a bad spot. I can't weld on the tank. I've been looking at blind tank fittings and bulkhead fittings. The fitting would have to drop in to the rear of the tank and the nut would have to go underneath. I'm getting told to just drive it but I'm sure that won't go well, or very far. Thoughts?

rodneya

Kinda depends on what the tank looks like on the bottom. Most bikes dont have crossover tubes.

pdxjim

I would just run it.

As stated, most other tanks don't have crossovers, and Yamaha left it off on late models.
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

you need it. I have a similar tank and you'll leave 30-40% on the rh side.

you can use a bulkhead fitting, feed the nut in thru the neck but you have to drill in from the bottom. i actually used 2 push to connects on my crossover at the back of the tank, but welded in some 1/8" npt connctions.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/86840238

you will need a viton sealing washer on each end and TBH i'd seal the threads with case sealant.

OR, just get 2 small fittings tigged onto the bottom, it wont hurt the paint as long as you're smart about it (silicone bronze welds at a relatively low temp). put a wet rag inside the tank while you are welding to act as a heat sink against the side you are welding against,  and then reline the tank with caswell over the old sealer.

:twocents:

smokah

Thanks Mike. I wasn't gonna run it without the crosssover. I know you have the same or very similar tank. We have corresponded about it when I asked about getting a more free flowing petcock for it and you pointed me to the cb350 one. I'm not sure I'm comfortable having it welded due to the custom paint.

m in sc

one thing i considered was using a 90 degree valve stem for a motorcycle tire. taking the scherader core out and using that as a fitting and clamping  a line to it.

https://www.jpcycles.com/product/922-716/bikemaster-chrome-90-degree-valve-stem?redirectedKeyword=922-716&totalResult=1

pdxjim

^ that's a great idea, as long as the seals are fuel safe 👍
Wasting time on 2T forums since the dawn of the internet. '89 TDR250, '13 300xcw, '19 690smcr, '56 Porsche 356A

m in sc

viton and buna are good. Im not sure what they are on the stem but viton washers are easy to get or make. However im pretty sure they are ok for fuel exposure.

smokah

Thanks. Another possibility. I need to know how big of a hole it requires so I can see if there's enough meat there. Might just buy one to see

IR8D8R

smokah

^^^ that would work too. Expensive little buggers.

RDFL

Same thing on ebay for $5-6 free shipping.

smokah

I bought the chrome valve stems. Be here in a few days. Locating viton washers then I'll install and test them. Thanks all for the input

smokah

Just as a followup, the valve stems worked perfectly. The included rubber washers are stepped so finding a viton replacement was impossible. I put the rubber ones in gas for 48 hours and they were fine. Installed on the tank and no leaks in two weeks. I'm calling it a win. Got them on amazon for around $10 for the pair. Thanks for the help.

m in sc