News:

Deals Gap 2024: Josh performing parking lot maintenance

Next Year:  May 4-11th.  26th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Modifying Higgspeed chambers, location of internal stinger.

Started by Dvsrd, April 17, 2019, 06:32:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dvsrd

Hi all,
2 years ago, I bought a pair of SS Higgspeed chambers for my 350. Although shiny and neat welds, I am not tohappy withthem. Definitely way too noisy. So I cut off the 2" muffler bodies, and got some 65 mm tubing to use instead, to allow more muffler packing. I also plan on using internal stingers, extending to the fwd end of the baffle cone.
Here comes my question: Will the sideways/vertical locationof the forward end of the stinger matter much?  Power and noise wise?
For the look I prefer, I want the tail of the pipes low and tucked in. This would place a straight stinger towards the outside and top of the baffle cone. Maybe even close to running paralell with the baffle cone wall.

SUPERTUNE

Most of us here don't know higgspeed pipes, so pics might be better to understand your question.
Chuck
RD machine work, boring, porting, cranks and engine building.

Chuck 'SUPERTUNE' Quenzler III
Team Scream Racing LLC
1920 Sherwood St. STE A
Clearwater, FL. 33765
cqsupertune@tampabay.rr.com

Barrie

These pipes for the great un washed are made in Blackpool UK.
My impression  of these pipes are the same as your O P,
they are  very loud  and do not produce the desired results, it is claimed that no jet changes are needed  , that's the give away, no jetting !
the original upswept design is one of the other things I really did not like about this product.

The way to quieten these pipes is to open up the openings in the  inner tube of the muffler / silencer section, so that more of the shock waves can pass into the wadding wrapped around the tube and be absorbed , this should not change the performance  (if it had any! ) at all
I can't fix stupid , but I can give it a bill !

Hawaii-Mike

Higgspeeds are loud like most chambers.  They look good in stainless, not the best pipe for performance.

teazer

The short answer is NO. The only thing to avoid is do not have the front end of the internal stinger at the mid point of the convergent cone.  Forward of mid point or rearward all good. Angle will make little difference to exhaust flow or pressure wave action.

Dvsrd

Quote from: SUPERTUNE on April 17, 2019, 07:49:16 AM
Most of us here don't know higgspeed pipes, so pics might be better to understand your question.
Chuck

Ok, hopefully my attached sketches will make it more understandable. The fat blue lines is the internal stinger in both cases. I may well end up with a stinger location somewhere between these two extremes.

Dvsrd

Jim

You can weld the internal stinger tubing to the perforated silencer tubes at an angle to approximately center them, as long as the angle isn't go great as to keep you from getting them in.  If you want quiet, make the internal stingers go in to the weld between the center section and the baffle cone, or slightly farther.  I made a set for my H2 that went one inch farther forward than that weld and they were very quit compared to normal chambers, without hurting performance.

Dvsrd

Quote from: Hawaii-Mike on April 18, 2019, 03:16:26 PM
Higgspeeds are loud like most chambers.  They look good in stainless, not the best pipe for performance.
Yes, they do look good, especially the low version for the 500 Kawasaki triples. Real retro look. Wish they made something similar looking for RDs.....

teazer

Either of those sketches will work or anything in between. Try to weld the front end to the baffle cone if possible to keep it from moving around.

J&R Powerpipes used that same approach back in the day.

Jspooner

When I bought my Swarbricks for my TZ the stingers were not attached. He had instructions for what to do if on a race bike and noise wasn't an issue or if it was an issue. In either scenario it did not affect HP according to him. I ended up going with the "quieter version" because I have them on a street bike. The way I did it ended up being similar to what DVSRD has sketched out. They work just fine. I did not have the internal stinger in quite as far though, But it still ended up at an angle and probably pretty close to the outside wall of the baffle cone like shown in the one sketch. They are the best sounding pipes I have ever heard on a twin. Probably has a lot to do with the silencers though.
"Just quit brain fucking it and get it done"

Dvsrd

Ok, thanks guys! So when I get home in 3-4 weeks time, I'll plug in the TIG welder and start modding :)