Deals Gap 2024: Safety 3rd!

This year:  May 5-12th.  25th year!
(CLICK IMAGE FOR MEET INFO)

Main Menu

Cool story from several years ago

Started by murphywv, October 01, 2020, 04:00:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

murphywv

I  was about this day twenty years ago. I was driving a peterbilt service truck home from a service call in Moorefield WV. I was heading west on RT33 between Petersburg and Seneca Rocks just coming to the end of a long straight when two V twin sportbikes came around me. Never saw them coming...musta been doing 100+. The pair dove into the 40MPH corner knees down and were GONE.

10 miles down the road is an old country store and I stopped to get something to drink there set the bikes. One was a TL1000R Suzuki and the other a 996 Ducati. As I was checking out the Ducati two guys with gray hair walked out in full leathers eating ice cream. I commented on their bikes and their high speed pass that nearly put me in shock.

Cool old dudes, one was 68 and the other was 70. They ride through there every year burning up the road. The said RV's are too expensive and slow.
1974 RD350 not stock
KTM 300 XC-W
Beta 500R-SS
And a big ol' chopper

Czakky

When I lived in FL there was a group of bikes I would see all the time, total hooligans. I'm talking high speed wheelies 100+ mph overtakes. Busas, B-kings, Zx-14s, liter bikes, etc. There was like 6-12 of them together all the time, full face helmets, full gear. Not uncommon but these bikes were not stretched or untastedully modded I just remember thinking they were off from your trad stuntaz. One day at my local Cycle Gear this guy that was like in his eighties could barely walk is at the counter talking about he hit a buzzard at 80 and needs a new windscreen. The only bike out there besides mine was a B-king with a busted up windscreen. I asked him how it felt to hit a vulture at 80? His reply was something along the lines of, "I told you moron it was a buzzard and I'm fine!"... I paid for my stuff  thinking this guy's a dick, he got his windscreen ordered. I was talking to the dudes at the store and they proceeded to tell me about Earl or whatever his name is and his groups of hooligans. Apparently Earl was a total nut and had his mob of octogenarian drag racers prowling the streets of St Pete! You'd never know the way those dudes were riding.
What did HST say? The crazy never die!